• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Passenger Rear Clunking

2.5 Always!

CEG'er
I've searched already and nothing answered my question and read the FAQ. Pretty much the sway bars are good etc.. before i sell my car to my friend he wants me to get rid of the clunking. It is not the exhaust hitting anything. I can't determine if it's the strut top mount or not... The strut's perfectly fine. it rebounds quick. doesn't sit low and comes RIGHT back up when weight is released. it happens over small bumps and def over large. I have limited money so i can't go buy all the parts and replace the whole thing. so my question is

Is it my Strut Top Mounts?
or is it the plate and bushing thats on the top of the strut as it exits the top of the coil?

You assume the sway bar is good because you recently replaced the bushings and end links or because it just looked okay?

Because it looked ok. so it's def not the strut mount than? i would take another look after work today, however i'm in PA 10 minutes above Philadelphia and we will be getting hit with that hurricane on the east coast.

What looked ok? You have several things to look at with the sway bar. The rubber probably needs to be replaced regardless and the links as well unless you remember replacing them.

I said the hell with the rain and went under the car last night and had my brother put his body weight on the drunk and release it while i looked... the clunk is coming from the bottom of the strut inside the boot. so0o to make sure i used my fingers as eyes and told him to do it again while my hand was between the coil except i told him to do it slow so my hand doesnt die lol. and the clunk came directly from the strut behind the little boot that covers it near the bottom of the coil. and no my hand was not hurt in the process...

also, i tried to wiggle the tire left to right and shake it around to see if any play was their and it was as stiff as the foreclosure industry, more so, the rubber looked healthy on the sway bars i tried to move every piece under their even with a slim sold metal bar. nothing squeeked, stressed, or didn't go anywhere it wasn't suppose to. i even compared each side. both look the same i.e. wear and tear. i even checked to see if it's my exhaust is hitting and no dice. so my final conclusion was my first paragragh. does anyone concur with it though?

Last edited:
Well that boot is really just a dust shield and covers the strut orifice and bump stop. Could be a dead strut.

Well that will be fixed tonight and tomorrow it will be sold... i'm going to miss this forum for the short period on here you guy's helped me out so so much and knew every answer to everything. Ysterday I became a member of the RX-8 forums. Because the insurance on the mustang was too great and I got a good deal with a RX-8. 6 speed, red, sport package, 32k on the dash and i already have some cooling performance parts on the way to keep the Rotary engine nice and cool.

You are correct, I was quoted @ 350 a month full coverage for a 03 stang gt coupe, i was quoted @ 190 full coverage on the 6 speed rx-8 04 both quotes from state farm. I did grab other quotes however state farm was the best. AIG SUCKED, Geico is just b.s., Esurance was pretty good. however state farm has more local agents and etc...

Back