• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turn signal switch install?

uwintoday

CEG'er
I need to replace my turn signal switch in my 98 contour. How do I install?
Any advice?
2330831.jpg

Local estimate for parts are $200.00 and $70 for labor The part is on ebay for $19 or the link below for $54 if anyone else needs one.
http://www.monsterautoparts.com/FORD...itch_lever.htm

before u buy that whole assembly, first what is ur blinker doing? all u might need might be a relay. oh, and its a piece of cake to install by the way. any idiot(in the nicest way possible of course:)) can do it.

just in case u've bought the arm, here's how to replace it. takes 5mins literally.
- right behind the steering wheel are two halves of plastic that covers the hazard light button and key ignition. one top half and one bottom half.
- simply look and feel around for the screws that secure them. i dont remember how many. two tops. remove and save screws for reinstall.
- at this point, u'll be able to see the blinker arm without anything in the way. u see the picture u just posted? the one on the car will look exactly like it, obviously:).
- in the picture above, theres a slide button in between the blinker lever itself and the hazard light button. slide or push it. then pull the whole assembly upwards. it should slide right up. i dont remember if there's an electrical sensor or sumthn that needs to come off first, but just in case there is, be sure to remove it b4 sliding out the assembly.

NOTE- b4 u slide the whole assembly out, change the relay first. it most likely is the problem. its the little black box fuse thingy right below the arm.
hers a couple of links that might help
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=29010&highlight=multifunction
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...ber=702229&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

any idiot(in the nicest way possible of course:)) can do it.

hahahaa. i was in the junkyard the other day getting parts for Matt R. one of the items was a turn signal switch. i must have broke every switch in the yard. i REALLY wish i knew all it did was pop off.

before u buy that whole assembly, first what is ur blinker doing? all u might need might be a relay. oh, and its a piece of cake to install by the way. any idiot(in the nicest way possible of course:)) can do it.

It was buzzing and blinkers would work somtimes . Now I get nothing. No hazards no blinkers. Is the Turn Signal Flasher autozone link below same as the relay?

http://www.autozone.com/sku,6415/pa...01/store,2306/shopping/partProductDetail2.htm

$10 for the Turn signal flasher I save ten bucks if it works. If not I have to buy a $20 Turn signal switch and I lose $10 bucks.

$10 bucks is a lot of money for me to lose so I'll wait for advice.

Thanks everyone.

ok going to buy and replace the relay as soon as I find my screw drivers.

Maybe if I mow the lawn I will find my tools.:crazy:

I removed the covers the relay worked sometimes if I held it in tight. I replaced it with a new one and got Nothing.

Should I replace the Turn signal switch now?

For future reference, this is not a "troubleshooting" (or at least it wasn't when you posted it, though turned in to one) post.

If you DON'T know the problem, then its troubleshooting, if you require install tips, or removal instructions then it is a MAINTENANCE post.

good luck on your repair!

Yes. The switch gives more trouble on our cars than the relay does. It is a solid state relay and is nearly bullet proof compared with the old style electro mechanical ones.

I just wanted to highlight RELAY IS NEARLY BullEt Proof!

Arg, 4 months after i got my SVT the turn signals stoped working. Bought a whole assembly new and put it in, very easy BTW. Went to test it and it didnt work. Was the relay the whole time. $100 assembly and it was just the relay, $15 part.

Kept the assembly though because i likes have new white pics on it. :laugh:

Brake lights

Brake lights

I'm just getting set up for the winter so I can park the Saturn Sky. FINALLY got round to fixing the brake light problem. Turn signals, 4 way flashers all work fine, as does the third brake light in the rear window. What doesn't work are the two main brake lights, left and right, although the flashers use the same bulbs. The Fuse is fine as I removed it and the third brake light stops. Replaced it and the third brake light works.

I just bought bought a Multi Function/Turn signal switch from a wreckers yard, switched them over this morning and found that it STILL the has same problem with the replacement Multi-Function switch. Everything works except the two main brake lights.

Any one have a suggestion? I doubt that this switch has the same failure as the old one did?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I'm just getting set up for the winter so I can park the Saturn Sky. FINALLY got round to fixing the brake light problem. Turn signals, 4 way flashers all work fine, as does the third brake light in the rear window. What doesn't work are the two main brake lights, left and right, although the flashers use the same bulbs. The Fuse is fine as I removed it and the third brake light stops. Replaced it and the third brake light works.

I just bought bought a Multi Function/Turn signal switch from a wreckers yard, switched them over this morning and found that it STILL the has same problem with the replacement Multi-Function switch. Everything works except the two main brake lights.

Any one have a suggestion? I doubt that this switch has the same failure as the old one did?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I have no brake lights as well. The pedal switch is fine. I guess it may be the turn signal assembly.

**EDIT** I took it apart and used some contact cleaner and now the Brake lights work..... So it had something to do with the turn signal assembly.. :)

Back