• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

car dies on idle

pyrotech5

New CEG'er
about a week ago the temperature down here dropped considerably over one night and when i went to start my contour it started and then died. you would have to keep revving it a little to keep it from dying. this would go away once she warmed up. now she is doing it all the time, so im having to heel-toe it every where i go to keep her running.

im thinking intake manifold gaskets and plugs would do the trick, but if anyone has had the same problem and figured it out let me know, thanks.

thanks mod for moving this thread. i just realized that it was in the wrong section

sounds like an IAC (idle air controller) valve.

but it would help if you specified which motor you have...

Ive driven an SVT with a bad IAC valve and basically as long as I was driving it, everything was peachy, but as soon as I tried to let the motor idle it just died like I had turned the key off, take off your IAC valve and clean it with some carb/throttle body cleaner and put it back on (if you are careful you can reuse the gasket already on there). If that helps then it was your IAC valve.

unfortunately from past experiences and what I have read from other people, cleaning the IAC is a temperary fix.

I think mine is doing the same thing, but mainly the car surges big time when the defroster is on, it dies every now and then from the surging, but it dosent do it when the defroster is off.

I think mine is doing the same thing, but mainly the car surges big time when the defroster is on, it dies every now and then from the surging, but it dosent do it when the defroster is off.
Besides IAC valve, you might want to check if your a/c compressor clutch or pulley has problems.

about a week ago the temperature down here dropped considerably over one night and when i went to start my contour it started and then died. you would have to keep revving it a little to keep it from dying. this would go away once she warmed up. now she is doing it all the time, so im having to heel-toe it every where i go to keep her running.

im thinking intake manifold gaskets and plugs would do the trick, but if anyone has had the same problem and figured it out let me know, thanks.

I had the same issue. After replacing a lot of parts it turned out to be the IAC valve and the O2 sensor(the one before the catalytic convertor).
Also check your fuel pressure.

I have this same problem. I got the car to run last night and this morning it wasn't a problem anymore this morning. I expect it will be when the temp goes below 0 again. I called the dealership and the part was $263. I found what I believe is the correct part on the internet for about $80, any thoughts here?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1303962&parttype=5028&a=FRc1303962k382685

MOTORCRAFT Part # CX1658

Also, I'm not very good with cars, is there a photo someone could point me to where the IAC valve is? I have a '98 contour SE with a V-6 and manual transmission. I've owned it since new and it has 115,000 miles on it, been a wonderful car to date. (most of the problems listed in the FAQ have affected it, but it was never any serious problem... until now)

I have a Haynes manual and I looked it up and I think it's in the intake. Is that where the air filter is???

Thanks in advance!

The IAC valve is attached to the back (firewall side) of the UIM, right behind the EGR valve if you know what that looks like. Here's a picture which should clarify: the IAC is at the very top edge of the pic, above where the #1 arrow is pointing to. Once you have the new valve in hand and know what it looks like you can't miss it. http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...d=1month&Main=1041852&Search=true#Post1041858

... If you plan to get a new one, get a Ford IAC valve for the correct year. ...

only one problem with that. the part has been revised many times and your only going to be able to get the latest level part. I went through this with the one for my fathers 95 as it suppose to be different.

only difference that I noted externally is the orientation of the connector.

Just a little update. I did go buy the cleaner, but I'm stuck. Ford melted some plastic in the center of the security bolt that holds the IAC valve on.

My car hasn't had any problems since the temp has been above -10 f recently so I haven't put too much time or thought into it. It's suppossed to get cold again soon so I might have a renewed interest then.

IAC

IAC

I recently purchased a new Motorcraft IAC from Bill @ team ford. Ran about $55.00 plus freight. Best price on the web or in town. They are very well priced. Dan

I recently purchased a new Motorcraft IAC from Bill @ team ford. Ran about $55.00 plus freight. Best price on the web or in town. They are very well priced. Dan

That is a good price!

Just an update. It's been very cold this last week. -10 to -20 at night.

Yesterday morning it was -19 and I went out to start my car fearing the worst. I had to give it a little gas to keep it running at first, but after 20 seconds the automatic idle started to work properly. I plan on getting a new car this summer, so I probably won't bother replacing the IAC unless I have more serious problems.

I don't know if my initial problem was due to the rapid cool down (+10 to -15 or so in one night), but the issue isn't as serious anymore.

I would suggest considering it's cold out, either the fuel filter, of getting a fuel additive to lean it out, maybe the lines are freezing up. or a vaccum leak

I would suggest considering it's cold out, either the fuel filter, of getting a fuel additive to lean it out, maybe the lines are freezing up. or a vaccum leak

Thanks for the tips all.

It probably is a vacuum leak. One of the clips that closes the intake (where the air filter is) is broken. The #@#% thing snapped the lip of the bottom cover so short of replacing the whole bottom part I'm living with it as is.

I have a block heater, but it's not working from what I can tell ( afew years ago). My car actually started fine this morning even though it was -24 F this morning and my car is parked outside (-50 windchill, -24 was the absolute temp). I had to give it gas manually though. I let the gas off a bit and it idled at 1000 RPM. I went inside for a couple minutes. When I came back out it was idling at about 300 RPM. (usually it's about 800-900) Needless to say I decided I should just start driving. When I got to work the car would idle, but it was at about 500 RPM. I heel/toed it all the way to work. (it's a stick)

Normally it's not an issue when it's warmer than -10. How do I add a fuel filter or what is the name of the addative you would recommend?

Thanks!

Rich

Back