• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Focus or 98+ Zetec swap to a Pre-98

ButtonPuncher

Veteran CEG'er
Hi,
It's been a while, but I had a CEG'er email me about dropping a Focus shortblock into a Pre-98. I'm going to dress up this thread with a ton of side-by side photos for anyone wanting to do a swap. Hopefully I can have one of the mods sticky it after it's all done. Here's my response...

Sorry but a Focus Zetec short block will only drop into a 98+ Contour. But...

If the Focus engine is complete with all accessories, and motor mounts, you could drop it into your 97. You'd need to swap your 97 intake manifold and exhaust onto it. You'd just leave the Focus CHT disconnected. (Cylinder head temperature sensor.) You will also need the oilpan and oil pump pickup tube off of a 98+ Contour Zetec.

The problem is that the Pre-98 and 98+ Zetecs have a totally different passenger side motor mount. It caused a change in the water pump, oil pump, timing belt routing/pulleys, how the motor mount attaches to the engine, and all of the accessory brackets and how they mount to the motor. They also changed the block/oilpan. On a 98+ or Focus Zetec, they have a aluminum spacer/brace between the block and a shallow steel oilpan. A Pre-98 oilpan is a large all-aluminum piece and just bolts right to the bottom of the block.

The plus of a Focus Zetec is that it doesn't use VCT, so it is right at home in a Pre-98. The Pre-98 intake manifold, exhaust manifold, coil pack bracket, and thermostat housing bolt right up.

I hope that helps.

Later,
Ben

Back