• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How-To, ATF Change

cobrawannabe

Addicted CEG'er
Hey guys, I know there's one on the old forums, but it's hard to find, and has a few holes in it. So, here we go. (Pics soon)

NOTE

For 1995-96 owners,

1995... Use MERCON transmission fluid.

1996... This is the complicated year.
Ford transitioned all AT/ATX models to MERCON-V transmission fluid over the course of the 1996 model year, and these year CDW-27's could have used either. Since my car is an early 96 (build date of 1/96) it uses MERCON, not MERCON-V. To check which fluid your car uses, look at the longer part of the transmission dipstick, not the handle. It will say either "USE MERCON AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID", or "USE MERCON-V AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID". I'm sure once you have read the dipstick, you will know which to use:laugh:

1. Gather your tools.
-3/8" drive ratchet with medium extension.
-One lift ramp (10-inch height worked perfectly)
-2 wheel chocks
-4 empty 1-gallon jugs
-Transmission filler funnel
-2 smaller funnels
-1 large oil/ATF drain pan (atleast 1-2 gallon cap.)

2. Put the car up on ramp.
-Position ramp under bumper on PASSENGER SIDE of car. This allows the largest amount of fluid to drain from the car as possible; while the ramp eliminates all worries of putting a jack on the pass. side of the car) My pre-98 did rub a bit and flexed the bumper a little as I drove up, but no marks were left. Also, you can tape a rag to the bumper if your don't want marks. Whn the car is on the ramp, chock the rear wheels, and make sure it is positioned correctly on the ramp. SET THE EMERGENCY BRAKE!!!!

3. Get your ratchet, extension and drain pan; and drain the fluid. The plug is right smack dab in the middle (front-to-rear) of the driver's side of the transmission, and will start draining after about 3 turns. Removing the plug requires the 3/8" drive on the extension, NOT A SOCKET. Make sure you don't drop the plug in the tranny fluid; it's a PITA to get out. Allow the fluid to run out until it completely stops. REPLACE THE PLUG WHEN YOU ARE DONE WITH THIS STEP!!!!!

4. Check how much fluid drained out of the tranny by pouring it into one of the empty jugs, using one of the smaller funnels, and marking the same level on another jug. When you have made the mark, pour new fluid into the empty, marked jug, adding a bit above the line to equate whatever may be left in the pan. Release E-Brake in the car, and shift into neutral. Allow the car to coast off of the ramp. DO NOT TURN ON THE CAR OR PUT INTO GEAR!!! USe the key postion for accesories to allow the car to get into neutral.

5. Pour new fluid into tranny dipstick tube using TRANSMISSION FUNNEL. Allow the jug to balance in the funnel for a minute or two to allow all new fluid to get into the car.

6. Replace dipstick, and close hood. Drive the car for a solid 5-10 miles atleast, making sure to get into all 4 gears. Lean on it occasionally, running through most of 1st-3rd. A highway route is suggested.

7. Repeat steps 2-6 twice, keeping in mind that THE TRANSMISSION FLUID WILL BE HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, after the third refill, SECURE THE DRAIN PLUG WELL! You can use either thread lock or "Teflon Tape". We opted for the latter.

8. Check your final fluid level with the dipstick when the car is RUNNING AND WARM (around R-M in "NORMAL" on temp guage).

9.Either enjoy your new transmission, or your up-coming tranny swap:laugh:

Last edited:
Or you could just put like 3.5qts through on the ramps, then get back on the ground, run through all the gears and check and re-fill as needed. It would seem this method would be a bit less accident-prone.

Nevertheless, good write-up.

Note that Mercon fluid is no longer being produced. Older vehicles (including the '95 Contour) that called for Mercon should now use Mercon V. A copy of the TSB here:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fulltext/show_article.php?tsb=06-14-4

^^ This information is not true.^^

I bought Mercon not two weeks ago:help:

I will will post pics if need be

Ford may not be putting it in the trucks, but Mercon fluid is not out of production. My car is filled with it, as I bought 12 quarts of it not 3 weeks ago. I wil produce pictures if anyone needs proof. I am capable of reading boxes of ATF:shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back