• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

not starting

loc0gring0

Veteran CEG'er
i just picked up a 2000 svt with 32k and i cant get the motor to start all.. it does go click click and you can see the cracnk turn a fraction. i took the belt off the crank and i cant turn it.. do you think my starter could be jamed in the flywheel not allowing it to turn with a socket on the crank?.

i just picked up a 2000 svt with 32k and i cant get the motor to start all.. it does go click click and you can see the cracnk turn a fraction. i took the belt off the crank and i cant turn it.. do you think my starter could be jamed in the flywheel not allowing it to turn with a socket on the crank?.
I suspect there is no power in battery, first check it with a multimeter, it should be over 12.5 if you do not have multimeter get boost from other car...

Are you hearing a buzz while cranking, or just the click. Turn the headlights on and crank it, if the go off the battery is dead/toast. The voltage check as stated will give you a better idea. Around 12.4 will loads off. No less than 9.8 while cranking. Or hit the starter with a hammer or a pry bar, while someone is trying to cranking.

Also turn off the ign or disconnect battery and put a socket and breaker bar on there see if you can turn the engine threw 2 rotations. Check oil level so on, hope its not seized.

just because the battery shows ~12.5 volts at rest doesn't mean that under load the battery is still good.

sounds like either the engine is seized or there is an issue with the starter. I am sure you have other starters so I woul just swap it out and see what happens.

just because the battery shows ~12.5 volts at rest doesn't mean that under load the battery is still good.

sounds like either the engine is seized or there is an issue with the starter. I am sure you have other starters so I woul just swap it out and see what happens.

yea im with brapple on this one. I think its the starter ,and on my green svt the motor wouldnt click, i tryed to turn the crank but it wouldnt move, but it wasnt seized . it was the starter,so i put my money on the starter.:laugh:good luck

Really don't remember saying the battery is good if it shows 12volts, just saying check the charge level. Also to turn on the headlights and crank it over seeing what the headlights do.

Also is it a stick, because if your in gear your not going to turn it over by hand.

Back