• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help with replacing BELT!

slocal94

CEG'er
IM trying to replace my Serpentine belt and I cant figure it out for the life of me. I know how its supposed to be routed.... but I just can grasp how to get the damn thing on there. Any tips or tricks?

Thanks

so I have to thread it a certain way? Or am I just being a retard? I have also searched....

Okay..

on the V6... you follow the routing as you say you know..

Loosen the tensioner with a 3/8 breaker bar in the square hole on the front of the tensioner.

remove the belt.

replace the belt around all pulleys with the RIBBED SIDE touching all grooved wheels. The only thing you don't wrap the belt around is the lowest, point (alternator at the rear, or AC at the front, I prefer AC)

Replace it on all but the A/C (INCLUDING placing it on the tensioner), then using your breaker bar you remove tension on the tensioner, HOLD IT THAT WAY and slide the belt (now that you just made some extra slack) around the A/C

I guess my problem is this, How to I get the belt around the tensioner pulley? Do I have to like slip it behind? Take the pulley off, put the belt on, then the pulley? im confused...

Back