• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Giving car to family member? anyone in MA done this before?

Bozack

CEG'er
So I was supposed to take delivery of a new 2008 v6 accord today and trade in my 2000 contour SVT, it was a good run but I have started commuting more for work via car and just don't want to dump more money into it on repairs (needs a new AC condenser, sound system as everything is pretty shot, and either a new front axle or at least a bearing, not to mention the roof is leaking a little, there is a trunk leak, and a few other odds and ends)

But my Brother told me last week that his car is in rough shape, so I was thinking that since they were only going to give me 1,500 for my car, and since it only has 75,000 miles on it, I might as well give it to him for free.

So my dilemma is that I need to pick up my car, but I also don't want to get stuck with this car should my brother bail out.

Is it better to get new plates for the new car and keep this one insured until I work it out, or just transfer my plates and garage my old car for the time being (townhouse so don't know how cool my neighbors will be with that either)

Also has anyone done this before? and if so is saying it is a gift the best option?

Any assistance appreciated, thanks

Uhhhhhmmmmmmm if he doesn't want to take a CSVT for free I'll take it?

I wont back out that deal lol.

Uhhhhhmmmmmmm if he doesn't want to take a CSVT for free I'll take it?

I wont back out that deal lol.

I don't think that was offered. :blackeye:

So I was supposed to take delivery of a new 2008 v6 accord today and trade in my 2000 contour SVT, it was a good run but I have started commuting more for work via car and just don't want to dump more money into it on repairs (needs a new AC condenser, sound system as everything is pretty shot, and either a new front axle or at least a bearing, not to mention the roof is leaking a little, there is a trunk leak, and a few other odds and ends)

But my Brother told me last week that his car is in rough shape, so I was thinking that since they were only going to give me 1,500 for my car, and since it only has 75,000 miles on it, I might as well give it to him for free.

So my dilemma is that I need to pick up my car, but I also don't want to get stuck with this car should my brother bail out.

Is it better to get new plates for the new car and keep this one insured until I work it out, or just transfer my plates and garage my old car for the time being (townhouse so don't know how cool my neighbors will be with that either)

Also has anyone done this before? and if so is saying it is a gift the best option?

Any assistance appreciated, thanks

I suppose I would just xfer the plates to your new car, I don't think that your SVT would be sitting very long with out plates. As you can see there's probably a few folks on here that would love to have it, but unfortunately they might not have the $ you want for it.

I know it CT if it is "gifted" to a family member and the right form is used the state doesn't collect tax on the transaction.

theres a gift thing that youll only have to pay 20 buxs for i .then you dont have to pay sales tax. if he backs out let me know what your want for it...

there is a form you can fill out to give it as a gift, it doesn't even have to be between family members.
it basically gets the new owner out of paying sales tax.
My sister in law did it when she bought the GL from mike and kim.

I know it CT if it is "gifted" to a family member and the right form is used the state doesn't collect tax on the transaction.

yup in CT if you transfer from one direct family member to another all you have to do is take in the signed title and pay like a $37 fee, you get to keep the plates if you want and there is no tax or anything on it.

Thanks all, just found out that he wants to register and insure the car in NH, not sure how that complicates things...should have just traded it in :)

i just dealt with this when i sold my bro my 00. he had a form that i needed to sign so he wouldn't pay sales tax. i don't know where it came from but i know he didnt pay tax on it.

Back