• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

how long did the factory...

About 81K and that nasty plastic impeller disintegrated.
Not having any coolant moving around in your aluminum block engine isn't a good thing...

And the roll restrictors (motor mounts) were shot at the same time.

This is a 2.5 SVT though

this has been posted before, the zetec doesn't have waterpump failures like the duratec ... plus it is like a tradiational waterpump and has a weep hole so you can check it that way ....

btw I have 178k on my original to my knowledge ... knock on wood ... Unless you have no confidence in your car getting you home I wouldn't worry about something like this until a) it fails or b) your chaning the timing belt and can get to it easy and want peace of mind ...

btw I have 178k on my original to my knowledge ... knock on wood ... Unless you have no confidence in your car getting you home I wouldn't worry about something like this until a) it fails or b) your chaning the timing belt and can get to it easy and want peace of mind ...
thank god my water pump doesnt run with the timing belt.

thank god my water pump doesnt run with the timing belt.

no but it is behind the timing belt. when i changed mine it took me about 4 hours to complete it. thats from the car resting on all four wheels to the test drive afterwards. im not sure what book time is for it but i will try to find out. unless your overheating, waterpump is leaking, or your changing the timing belt and have high miles i wouldnt worry about it.

well my timing belt was replaced at 109,592 and it doesnt run with my timing belt it runs with the serpintein belt. im not over heating or anything i wanted to see who has ran the longest on their factorie water pump.

i would just plan on having it replaced with the next timing belt. as i stated before mine lasted 230,000 miles before it started leaking. it never overheated just leaked coolant out the bottom of the timing belt cover.

none of them run off the timing belt. however the water pump is mounted to the block behind the timing belt. you have to take the timing belt off to remove the water pump even though its not driving it.

none of them run off the timing belt. however the water pump is mounted to the block behind the timing belt. you have to take the timing belt off to remove the water pump even though its not driving it.
Sorta.

pre98 you have to remove the timing belt, post98 you can do it with the timing belt still on.

my 98 zetch has a plastic impeller, i changed it when i did the timing belt, the impeller was actually cracked, i guess its common for these to break and fall off the shaft and make the car overheat, mine didnt leak or overheat but the thing was cracked, 111k miles

Back