• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Importing a Car into the US

blind829

CEG'er
I recently imported my CSVT from Canada into the U.S.A (Michigan). When I was preparing to do this I couldn't find anything on the internet to help me out and I had a ton of questions that I couldn't get answered. I tried calling the border patrol as well as Michigan's secretary of state and it seemed like everytime I did I would get a different answer. So I figured I'd write up some instructions for people just in case they need them. This only applies to cars that were originally built in the U.S (all SVT Contours) or have a U.S counterpart.

The only thing you really have to do before hand is call the manufacturer of the car you're importing and ask them for a letter stating that the car you're importing meets all D.O.T and E.P.A standards (you'll need the VIN). Below is what my letter looked like...

FordLetter.jpg

Once in Canada, the owner should have a Canadian sellers/buyers packet. That's just pretty much their title, which both the buyer/seller sign it saying you're the new owner. You'll need this signed correctly to get the car back across the border. Once you get to the border just let them know you just bought this car and they'll have you pull aside and ask to see the "title" as well as the letter from the manufacturer. The border patrol will process those documents and you'll have to fill out one form, they'll sign that one form, and you'll be on your way. It was really a lot easier then I thought it would be.

Don't try to have the owner drive the car to the U.S and you just do the transfer here, you need that one form filled out and signed by the border patrol in order to register the car here.

Also, you don't have mess with changing/worrying about the gage cluster being in KM, no matter what the border patrol tells you on the phone, they never even checked it. Also, at least in Michigan, the secretary of state doesn't convert your odometer from KM into miles, so be sure to do that before hand on the title from Canada.

Sorry for the long write up. Like I said, I imported into Michigan so I can't guarentee if other states are the same.

You car was built on the same day as mine!!!! My car is number 958 and yours is 947. Your car is black/tan and mine is red/tan. SWWEEEEEEET!!!

It's pretty much similar to the procedure to import a US car in Canada, but I had to swap the DRL fuse from my Mystique to the SVT. It was much easier than I expected. One thing to keep in mind is that you need to have the car inspected before you're able to register it (something we don't do in Quebec for car sold here).
I'm not sure if you can do that in this case, but from the US to Canada, they ask you to fax the titles to the crossing point at least 72 hours before you pass customs.
A very good reference site in Canada is www.riv.ca. It's the federal agency responsible for importing vehicle in Canada and they were very helpful.

I went to Michigan to buy my 99, and the condition of the car versus what I could find in Quebec (all of 3 SVT for sale) was way better, no rust at all. So last spring I went back to Michigan again to buy my 2000 heh. But this time, no importation hassle, just state-to-state move. That's funny to see that you did it the other way :)

I believe the inspection is on a state to state basic here. In Michigan we do not have car inspections.

Back