• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

PATs Key Programming

BrApple

No Life But CEG
As taken from the main site with some modifications.

The below instructions are for early 98 cars.

To program a new key:

· Buy a PATS key and have it cut.
· Using a currently working key, place it in the ignition and turn it ON until the dash lights come on.
· Turn the ignition off, remove key.
· Within 10(?)seconds, place the new key in the ignition, turn the ignition ON until the dash lights come on.
· Wait a few seconds for the PATS LED to stop blinking,
· Turn ignition off, remove key.
New key is now programmed. This will work for up to 16 keys. After that you have to go to the dealer to have the memory reset.

for the 98.5 and new cars you will need two keys to program a new key.

To program a new key:

· Buy a PATS key and have it cut.
· Using a currently working key, place it in the ignition and turn it ON until the dash lights come on.
· Within 10(?)seconds, place the second working key in the ignition, turn the ignition ON until the dash lights come on.
· Within 10(?)seconds, place the new key in the ignition, turn the ignition ON until the dash lights come on.
· Wait a few seconds for the PATS LED to stop blinking,
· Turn ignition off, remove key.

Programming for new ignition switch?

Programming for new ignition switch?

From searching, it appears the guidance is that if you have to replace the ignition switch, you have to have a dealer flash the computer or the new keys if you have a 98.5 or newer. My key is currently stuck in the ignition, and I'm pretty sure I'll damage the ignition switch if I yank the key out so I want to be sure I know what I'll need to do if I yank and damage the ignition switch. According to 3 Ford parts departments, I have to buy a full new lockset - ignition switch, 2 door cylinders and trunk cylinder - nearly $300!

Any advice how to avoid this and just get the $80 autozone ignition switch and new PATS keys (yes, doors and trunk will not match but can get non PATS key copies for separate keys, like the old days when you had round key for doors and trunk and square key for ignition).

Thanks.

Back