• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Battery Exploded

dark knight2000

New CEG'er
I posted a thread a bit ago about my warning lights staying on at 2,000 RPM's or above but below 2,000 RPM's warning lights are off.

Well I went out and popped the hood and battery acid is all over the battery and two spots on the hood right where its above the battery when hood is closed. I know this is most probably an overcharging issue......but what do I do........new alternator? new cables? The car has never had this issue before since ive owned it, does anything bring an overchargiung issue upon itself......need help guy's my only car right now!!:shrug:

A friend of mine had this happen to his Cougar. He drove down from Cleveland to Columbus, and when he got out of the car, we found that same scene. We ended up having to replace the battery AND the alternator in the parking lot of CompUSA in the rain! Talk about a fun job!

Hopefully your alt. isn't overcharging it. I had a Motorcraft pop on me. Opened the hood and it had a huge crack in it. Luckily no acid on the already crappy wiring on Contours. Was probably the fact it was a cheap one for you.

Put a volt meter on the batter terminals when car is running, watch the voltage as you increase the rpm. It should be within spec. If so you are not overcharging.

50/50 mix of baking soda and water. Apply to the affected area and then hose off. Just make sure that when you are hosing it down you don't spray the water all over the place, I guess it would be better described as "rinsing" rather than "hosing". You may need to apply the baking soda mixture a few times before the acid is neutralized (no more "fizzing").

Back