• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine running hot, I think...

Lord Stanley

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok, I just bought a 1995 Ford Contour, 5-speed, 4cyl...

The engine runs at the "A" in NORMAL on the gauge, occasionally in traffic it will go up to the "L" but it never overheats... Also, I get wicked good heat...

So is it my themostat? When I get back Sunday night I am going to Ohm out the coolant temperature sensor like this Autozone guide says to do to see the actual engine temperature...

nothing is wrong.

if you search, you will find out that everybody with a pre98 zetec has this "issue?

upon further inspection of the issue it was found that when the motor is up at "L" its only reading about 210 degrees, which isnt anywhere near dangerious yet. no, its not a problem, just an overly sensitive coolant temperature sensor. Basically, when your temperature sensor needle gets up to "L" the computer knows that it is time to turn on the cooling fans which you should hear, not more than 2 minutes after those fans come on your temperature gauge should go down to like "R" or "M."

If you really are super concerned, to fix this issue, you can just run the A/C whenever the guage starts to go higher than you would like. This should automatically turn on the fan and leave the gauge constantly at "M"

now if your fan isnt coming on then you have something to be worrying about.

As for your new purchase, you got a good car, the I4 5 speed combination is by far the most reliable you could have looked for. I dont know where you are at mileage wise, but whenever you purchase a used car, its a good idea to do some basic maitenence. Like you said, I would change the thermostat (and keep the old one around just in case), as well you should probably replace the Spark plugs (get MOTORCRAFT or AUTOLITE ONLY! or you will experience misfireing), and spark plug wires. If you know your way around the car well enough, I would also do a coolant flush/drain and fill, along with a good oil change.

Welcome to CEG!

Thankyou Alias for your post... The car actually only has 60,000 miles on it!

But yea, I am going to do some general work on it... I think it just may have the wrong "mix" of coolant in it, as I just Ohmed it out and my results were that the temperature was about 10/15 degrees Farenheit above the actual outside temperature (the car was sitting all weekend)... If the mix had too much antifreeze in it would the temperature read higher? I know that when I bought it there was about a quart of coolant over the "max" line which I removed, and that looked really green, altough I do not know what a 50/50 mix looks like...

One more question related to this (I have some more Q's on other things when I get around to them), how many quarts/gallons does the coolant system hold in this car? I just do not want to have too small of a container, LOL...

Also, I can never get the meter down below the "A" mark, even with the A/C on full blast or with the heat on full blast... I do hear the fans coming on though...
just replace the coolant temp sending unit. it is on the underside of the thermostat housing below the 2 hoses. Like AliasJerk said they are overly sensitive. you can get a brand new one from your local parts store for just a few bucks.

i believe the cooling system holds ~2 gallons.

Mine stays around the "L" 90% of the time.
I just got an 98 svt today! (Black)

in your case, CHECK YOUR WATER PUMP!

the duratecs had a crappy plastic water pump impellor, which will either grenade and not do anything anymore, or crack and break in pieces and slowly being ineffective, replace it as preventative work, you dont want to have to drop a new motor in right after you get the car.

Please replace SVT waterpump, it may be like this one

Please replace SVT waterpump, it may be like this one

For the Duratec. Also change the little belt that drives it, check radiator cooling fans operation. Both run with A/C on.
(Zetec sometimes needs waterpump as well, but more rarely. Strong heat means it is probably OK.)

DCP_0434.jpg

Last edited:
just replace the coolant temp sending unit. it is on the underside of the thermostat housing below the 2 hoses. Like AliasJerk said they are overly sensitive. you can get a brand new one from your local parts store for just a few bucks.

i believe the cooling system holds ~2 gallons.

Is this the part you are talking about because it is on top of the thermostat housing and it costs $20.00, LOL...

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP227728...partType,00113/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

nope there are 2 sensors in the housing. the one on top is for the PCM and the one underneath is for the gauge. i might have a thermostat housing laying around that i can get a picture of tonight.

Don't be too worried about it. Like everyone says, it's normal. I have a '96, and it does the same things. You will know if your car is overheating if the gauge goes to the line to the right of the L or farther...

Ok, here is just some more info before I do anything... I started up the car this morning and found out the following by testing the ECT:

* Thermostat opens on "A" - 98 degrees C, 208 degrees F
* Fan starts up at "high L" - 109 degrees C, 228 degrees F

As far as the ECT, the other sensor, and the gauge in the car goes, do those numbers sound right? Obviously I need a new themo...

And one more thing Striker... Is this the part you are talking about? http://www.autozone.com/R,APP267677...partType,00135/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

Last edited:
that would be the one. its a little difficult to get to but replacing it should put the needle back towards the center of "NORMAL"

Ok, here is just some more info before I do anything... I started up the car this morning and found out the following by testing the ECT:

* Thermostat opens on "A" - 98 degrees C, 208 degrees F
* Fan starts up at "high L" - 109 degrees C, 228 degrees F

As far as the ECT, the other sensor, and the gauge in the car goes, do those numbers sound right? Obviously I need a new themo...

Yes, the numbers appear correct (though the thermostat seems to be opening sooner). Change the thermostat. And change the Gauge Sender if you are concerned.

Edit. Read this thread. Infrared IRthermometer handydandy
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...er=1021265&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Last edited:
Ugg, that gauge sensor is in such a discouraging location so I will hold off on that... Still, only $30.00 for the thermostat, thermostat o-ring, radiator flush, one gallon of Antifreeze, drain pan, and funnel :cool:
the sensor is much easier to get to if your taking the radiator hose off so you can replace the thermostat. you might as well do it.

Back