• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need to know if is the alternator

Today i was driving home from work, car started normal at work. On the road i noticed that my ABS light came on, minutes later the emergency brake light was lid (dimed), i push my brakes and the RPM dropped to O while i was driving, pressed the brakes again my mph dropped to 0 while driving. When i stoped on a traffic light that car started to hesitate with hic-cups and didtn want to go into finally died. Call my wife to pick me up, when she arrived i gave my car a boost, started fine, when i removed the jumper cables the hic-cups started into the car died. Had to tow the car. At home i tried againg and gave the car another boost, while the car is running with the jumper cables still on the battery the ABS light stays off and the car accelerates fine, asap i remove the jumper cables the hic-cups starts and the car dies, also notice that the battery light is on. any suggestions.

Alternators are a pain to replace. I would recommend you get yourself a good one (OEM). I went through two napa ones on my car.

Back