• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hesitation '98 2.5L

BlackSunshine04

New CEG'er
My car has 99,000 mile on it and it has a slight hesitation and was wondering what I should do first to fix it? Plugs,Wires,Clean Something, I don't know much about these cars I just bought it 2 weeks ago. It runs pretty good just has a slight hesitation around 3000rpm and when you push in the clutch the rpms don't go down real fast it's like something is sticking on the trottle body. So any tips hints and pointers will be appriciated thanks for reading take care:help:

There is a natural slight hesitation in the powerband at about 3500 RPMs, due to the nature of the dual-plane intake manifold. It breathes from 6 runners until 3500, then snaps open a valve that allows it to breathe through all 12. If you look at dyno sheets from 2.5 Duratec V6's, you can clearly see the tiny "dip" that occurs while your engine gets a better grip.

The idle hangs a little naturally as well - it's an emissions thing. If it hangs excessively, you'll need to look into replacing your Idle Air Control Valve. As it is, you can also insert a copper cap into the hose that feeds it, with a smaller hole drilled into it. This restricts the flow and allows your revs to drop MUCH faster. Do a search for "throttle hang fix"

Enjoy the car!

Back