• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Underdrive crank pulley installed

biminiLX

Hard-core CEG'er
My buddy installed an ASP underdrive crank pulley for me over the weekend.
The engine seems to pull rpm faster and is even more responsive down low, but I noticed more from the exhaust upgrades.
I didn't notice any NVH on some high speed runs.
I'd recommend it if you want some extra power and understand the risk.
-J

Ahhh, difficult question.
Try a search on this and the old forum (better).
The UDP should not protect the crank from harmonics like the stock or DMD and that can cause engine problems.
Does this really cause failures in the Duratech :shrug:?
I didn't read any accounts of anyone installing one and then lunching an engine w/o any other explanation, but that would be your risk.
My opinion---obviously I felt the performance upgrade was worth the risk and mine was smooth up to 120+mph (on a closed course :cool:).
-J

This is nice to hear. I have been looking at them. Might pick one up now. Thanks for the info!

Ahhh, difficult question.
Try a search on this and the old forum (better).
The UDP should not protect the crank from harmonics like the stock or DMD and that can cause engine problems.
Does this really cause failures in the Duratech :shrug:?
I didn't read any accounts of anyone installing one and then lunching an engine w/o any other explanation, but that would be your risk.
My opinion---obviously I felt the performance upgrade was worth the risk and mine was smooth up to 120+mph (on a closed course :cool:).
-J
thanks. Looks interesting but I have plenty of other mods to do first :). I may do a p/s udp after looking through that stuff though.

thanks. Looks interesting but I have plenty of other mods to do first :). I may do a p/s udp after looking through that stuff though.
You'll get more power from the crank over the PS, but the PS will protect the pump if you redline alot. I'm planning on doing a PS UDP also but I want to look into how it effects the steering feel.
-J

i ran a unx udp for years,narry a issue. i liked it,and i've recomend it often.
I need the car to last for the next 2-3 years of my daily driving so I hope I don't have issues with it either :)
BTW, thanks again on that Y-pipe, I am VERY happy I did the exhaust upgrade and the SHO pipe next to a stocker is night/day for flow potential.
-J

When i put in a udp on my probe, my water pump and oil pump went, found out later that they were going which i didn't know but added enough stress to them which broke them then ended up blowing my engine. If your engine is maintained as my second engine was i never had a problem. If just adds some vibrations towards top end. Im personally looking for one :)

A non-dampered crank pulley will net you some low and mid range power. However it will reduce your engine's longevity if you run it in the upper rpm range much. (6500 rpm or higher)

A non-SVT car could likely get away with it for a long time (subjective but substanciated with high mileage real world claims) because they do not make power above this level with the stock split port cams. (i.e. they don't rev or stay above said rpm on a regular basis.)

I noticed accelerated wear above 7200 rpm with a non-dampered crank pulley. (SHOShop) You must watch your oil consumption religiously. However for that matter any time you run even the stock setup (or NVH mod DMD) above 7000 rpm you need to watch it. It is just more so with an undampened crank. Above 7400rpm an undampened crank will significantly accelerate engine wear on even Tri-metal (i.e. Clevitte) bearings. Regardless of setup the stock bearings don't stand much of a chance at rpm levels above 7200.

The short answer. Yes a small power gain and negligable longevity loss at moderate use rpm levels. Expect accelerated wear at higher rpms levels. If this is acceptable in your plans then it is your call.

Back