• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cost vs. shine

todras

Pretty fly for a white guy *cowbell*
Because I'm a cheap mofo and I want to try other products. I use Meg's Gold Class due to price and availability. I need to branch out. I've read a little bit here on sealants etc. Need to add that to my cleaning bin. What is the best bang for the buck. NXT seems like something I'd like to try as well. Klasse seems like a good product but do I need anything else to go with it like the sealant glaze? That's $40 for the 2. Too spendy for me.

Yeah, go try the NXT and tell us how it is! I saw it at Napa this weekend and at least the packaging looked cool. But I was only there for buffer bonnets, rubbing compound, x-cut cleaner (chose med.), and more swirl mark remover. Needless to say, I didn't let the NXT packaging tempt me. I've tried a couple of the 3M professional series products and was fairly happy but I typically stick with Meguiars since that's readily available almost any auto store.

Awhile back I did a search looking for info on the old Blue Coral of the 60's/ early 70's and found mention of P21S. So I picked some of that up. Buy that from a Harley shop, it's cheaper.

So what was the question? Ah, sealers. Haven't used any recently (last 10 years) but if I DID, I'd stick with Meguiars or 3M and wait for you to test something!

Because I'm a cheap mofo and I want to try other products. I use Meg's Gold Class due to price and availability. I need to branch out. I've read a little bit here on sealants etc. Need to add that to my cleaning bin. What is the best bang for the buck. NXT seems like something I'd like to try as well. Klasse seems like a good product but do I need anything else to go with it like the sealant glaze? That's $40 for the 2. Too spendy for me.

I really like the Klasse, it's whats been going on my car for quite a while. NXT is alright I guess, It's probably the best of the cleaner waxes, but thats not saying much. Klasse all in one works well, but the big protectant step comes with putting sealant glaze on top of it. If you only do one coat then this is easy and doesn't take much time, but to layer it with multiple coats, you should let it cure 8 hours before applying another. It takes me 2 days to do 3 coats of SG + Carnauba on top.

I personally like to separate the steps. I don't like cleaner waxes because i do the "cleaner" step first. I clay my car before putting on wax, makes a huge difference.

Edit: as for cost, I can justify higher cost on waxes/sealants when you figure how long they will last. I wax pretty often and my last jar of Pinnacle Signature Series Carnauba ($40) lasted me for 3 years. $40 every 3 years isn't a big cost. And both bottles of Klasse, All In One and Sealant Glaze, I bought at the same time as the Pinnacle, and are only half gone. I expect those will last at least 4, maybe 6 years.

Edit: as for cost, I can justify higher cost on waxes/sealants when you figure how long they will last. I wax pretty often and my last jar of Pinnacle Signature Series Carnauba ($40) lasted me for 3 years. $40 every 3 years isn't a big cost. And both bottles of Klasse, All In One and Sealant Glaze, I bought at the same time as the Pinnacle, and are only half gone. I expect those will last at least 4, maybe 6 years.

I was going to say the same thing. Zaino seems pricey but it last a long time, plus it takes about 2 oz or less to do that whole car. After using the Z-AIO it is pretty good for a daily driver. I put a coat on my parents vehicles last summer and it lasted a good 6 months and it was through the winter.

I use the NXT, tried the original and it worked decent. Now I have the NXT 2.0 or whatever and I like it. Nothing special but it's relatively inexpensive and easily available. I just expect to wax a few times a season.

If you are looking for an all-in-one product, give ColoRx a try. I use it on my cars (not the SVT of course, that gets #21 topped w/ Gold Class, #26, or Express Wax). I've found that ColoRx leaves a really nice glossy/reflective finish and last a long time (much longer than either Gold Class or NXT 1.0 (haven't tried 2.0 and won't since I like #21)). Meguiar's has a new product out which is called Paint Reconditioning Cream (PRC) which has been getting rave reviews. It cuts more than #83 (the previous king of PC cutting), polishes, and leaves a protective finish all in one step! I have a bottle arriving today and I am going to give it a try this w/n.

nxt 2.0 is really really good.. the best OTC product you'll find that's for sure.

nxt 2.0 is really really good.. the best OTC product you'll find that's for sure.
Is that like versus those requiring a prescription?
icon7.gif

The ColorX sounds good.

restore deep color and gloss from your oxidized or contaminated paint finish

My paint isn't too bad actually. I just clayed it last week and that really made a difference. I also had it wheeled out by a friend last year. For the age the paint isn't too bad. Some minor scratches here and there. I bought the Mothers clay and then used the provided cleaner wax. Topped off with Gold Class. Car looks pretty good and feels very nice to the touch. Extremely smooth. I think for $9 I'll try the colorx to see what it does to the T-Red.

Poorboys Black Hole sounds like something worth a try too. $16 for 16 oz.

Todd I use to only use Gold glass, and honestly, its pretty week compared to some of the other Meguairs products. I think their #26 High Tech Yellow Wax is far better. It makes a bit of a mess when wiping it off with all the powder, but I dont care. Just wipe down your door jams afterwards.

I think another great product is Zymol although it's probably a little on the high side for most people at like $14. I know its precleaner wax, but compared to the Meguiars precleaner wax, it gives a deep shine imho. Again, the downfall is it streaks when you take it off, so its best to mist the whole car with water afterwards and dry off the car.

My brother has a T-Red SVT and ColoRx makes it look dripping wet:cool: It also leaves one of the smoothest finishes I have ever felt (assuming clay bar is done before hand).

Todd I use to only use Gold glass, and honestly, its pretty week compared to some of the other Meguairs products. I think their #26 High Tech Yellow Wax is far better. It makes a bit of a mess when wiping it off with all the powder, but I dont care. Just wipe down your door jams afterwards.

I think another great product is Zymol although it's probably a little on the high side for most people at like $14. I know its precleaner wax, but compared to the Meguiars precleaner wax, it gives a deep shine imho. Again, the downfall is it streaks when you take it off, so its best to mist the whole car with water afterwards and dry off the car.

#26 shouldn't dust (at least I've never had it dust in 10 or so years of using it). As for the Zymol, I used it back in the day on my 89 Probe GT and I wasn't really happy w/ the results. It didn't give me the "pop" I was looking for. Streaking may be a result of application method. When NXT first came out many people were reporting streaking issues. Turns out they were using too much product. Most waxes only require a very thin layer. That's what makes the PC such a valuable tool: once you have the pad primed, you can due a large area because it just keeps spreading a thin layer of product. This saves $$ (less product used) and time (easier removal).

Claybar - $14.99
Klasse AIO - $17.99
Klassee Sealant - 20.99

Total So Far = $53.97
Using Promocode SAVEBIG at check out saves you 15% off your total

New total = $45.87

All from Autopia.com

The clay bar can be had for $10 plus tax at autozone, which might save you a buck or two

Now personally if you have any Gold Class left, thats what I would top all of this with, or run to your neighborhood Harley dealer and pick up a can of S100 carnuba for $15.00 more....

Last edited:
Thanks BK! I think if I cut back on the amount of wax I use when I wax I can make it last. I always think more is better. After every panel I put more wax on the orbital. I have Harley dealers in the area too. I have a Mothers bar that I bought from Meijer for $15 already.

Back