• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT Fans, Popping 60 Amp Fuse

JoeM

Veteran CEG'er
Any idea what may be causing this?
Friend of mine just got his CSVT back from a shop and its blowing the Fan fuse now.:shrug:

Check wiring harness going to fan for damage/meltdown. If all seems ok, unplug each one individually and try a new fuse to see which fan is popping the fuse.......when you find out.....replace affected fan (or is it replaced as an assembly only).

Check wiring harness going to fan for damage/meltdown. If all seems ok, unplug each one individually and try a new fuse to see which fan is popping the fuse.......when you find out.....replace affected fan (or is it replaced as an assembly only).

From the looks of it, they are an assebly. all the wiring is tied together.

I had this problem a couple of years ago. The fans were seized. The dealership said that road salt corroded the fans, and that's not covered by warranty:nonono:

I think that was my very last warranty experience...

Yeah, just looked it up and it appears to be a complete assembly. Where the wires go into the plug ins at the fans, do you see any melting of the insulation? These fans really suck (lol, or blow) infact the sound mine has been making lately leads me to believe that I will be replacing mine before long.

See if either fan motor is very stiff to turn. If so, that is your problem. If they spin, more likely there is a wiring issue, like below the fuse box next to the battery. Advance Auto sells replacement motors, or maybe you could try a salvage yard or E-bay.

Last edited:
Use an inductive clamp ammeter to measure the current draw of each fan. If you do not have one, buy one-- it is an invaluable tool. Max A/C forces full fan operation regardless of temperature. Remember that in a parallel circuit, current is split between the electrical loads. If the fuse is rated to 60 amps and one fan is drawing 20 and the other 40 or more, replace the one with the higher current draw. When DC motors are dying they typically draw more current to do the same amount of work. Also keep in mind that starting current draw is greater than continuous running current draw.

Back