• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I need some help from you all...

I have a 2003 cam. I messure it to be right around .1700 +/- on the lobe while zeroed to the round part of the cam. The number stamped on the cam is FE-6A267-AA, it is the water pump cam.

CamLobe.jpg

I used the 2003 followers, so here is a picture of the 1998 SVT Roller Follower. When I looked at them before I installed the cams I did not notice any size difference, but I was not really looking for one. They appeared the same and fit perfectly.

CamFollower.jpg

thanks I finally had three other people besides myself confirm that the taurus and escape have .020 less lift and the rocker ratio we will have to get our hands on a new 2004 engine to do measurements. It is amazing to see that the contour and cougars have more lift than the 3. liter so I advise everyone to buy 2004 or just switch over your cams preferrably to the 3.0 to gain more airflow all around. Our cars were made to hit 7200 rpms and I plan on keeping it that way too. Joey

This is HUGE people! Turns out the 2004 n up motor is starting to get some credibility. But wot about the zircon problem with the 04's and up? Is that a risk one should be willing to take?

thanks I finally had three other people besides myself confirm that the taurus and escape have .020 less lift and the rocker ratio we will have to get our hands on a new 2004 engine to do measurements. It is amazing to see that the contour and cougars have more lift than the 3. liter so I advise everyone to buy 2004 or just switch over your cams preferrably to the 3.0 to gain more airflow all around. Our cars were made to hit 7200 rpms and I plan on keeping it that way too. Joey

I advise everyone to buy 99-03 because they have the forged cranks, can be gotten cheaper and can be built to any configuration you need. Definitely use the SE and SVT cams! :shocked:

The 2004 & up do not have forged cranks? If not.. aren't they compatible -- able to swap in one from an earlier model 3.0L or SVT?

The 2004 & up do not have forged cranks? If not.. aren't they compatible -- able to swap in one from an earlier model 3.0L or SVT?

The 2005 MY was slated to have cast cranks. Not good for sustained high rpm use, but better damping for a smoother engine - supposedly. If you're not tracking your car, should be fine.

If you're still concerned about the cranks, the 2004 should still have the forged cranks in them.

Additionally, the reading I did indicated the zircon problem was mainly in the Escape & Tribute motors, and the 'suspect list' did not include Taurus/Sable engines from 2004.

Cool, thanks for correcting the years. So up to 2004 is good.

On the zircon thing? If it was gonna be a problem by 30K miles I'm sure it would have been a problem don't you think? I wouldn't be so concerned about it if the engine had some miles on it and if I were going to tear it apart anyway to inspect then I could clean it well.

You've had the longest plans of doing a 3L swap on this site. Less talking, more swapping! :laugh:

No ish. Him and Marauder should have a planning party. Any swap will have an ish ton more power than currently in any of his cars.

Yeah, I know. Life gets in the way. I've been busy the last year & 1/2 remodeling my current home and building another so my time WAS better spent there. I suspect you guys would prioritize accordingly as well. The new home build has since gone up in smoke so now I'll have the time as soon as my kitchen is done (Flooring, carpet are nearly complete).

Been worth it by the way. You should see my freakin' yard now! 2x2 stone patio in back with plantings, trees, fencing all around. Even a fountain going in next week. Beautiful!

On the zircon thing? If it was gonna be a problem by 30K miles I'm sure it would have been a problem don't you think? I wouldn't be so concerned about it if the engine had some miles on it and if I were going to tear it apart anyway to inspect then I could clean it well.

No telling when the sand will work it's way loose. Most Escape engines will likely be fine if they have 30k on them already, but I won't take the risk. With all the work, money, and PLANNING :crazy: that goes into one of these swaps, it's just not worth doing twice IMHO - especially since you pay a premium for the Escape motor. And besides that, the 2004 Escape motor still utilizes the lower lift cams according to Procyon & his table.

Last edited:
No telling when the sand will work it's way loose. Most Escape engines will likely be fine if they have 30k on them already, but I won't take the risk. With all the work, money, and PLANNING :crazy: that goes into one of these swaps, it's just not worth doing twice IMHO - especially since you pay a premium for the Escape motor.

tru dat! Too much money, time, n effort. hence am sticking with the 2003 escape motor :crazy:

The 2005 MY was slated to have cast cranks. Not good for sustained high rpm use, but better damping for a smoother engine - supposedly. If you're not tracking your car, should be fine.

If you're still concerned about the cranks, the 2004 should still have the forged cranks in them.
As I have posted before, the Ford 500/Montego is the only 3.0L Duratec with a cast crank. All other 3.0L Duratecs from 1996 to present use a forged crank.

hey tom. i hope u're right. I just called the company i got ma 03 escape motor from again. turns out its a late 03 model. Actually he confirmed it was an 04. Now am really worried. Should i go ahead and exchange it for a 2001 motor with the same mileage, 150-175 compression test in all cylinders? or stick with it? Oh by the way, they both have about 30,000miles on them.

As I have posted before, the Ford 500/Montego is the only 3.0L Duratec with a cast crank. All other 3.0L Duratecs from 1996 to present use a forged crank.

I'll assume the cast crank got carried over to the later model Taurus/Sable?

Just want to be sure we target the vehicles & M/Y that will have engines with cast cranks.

I do appreciate your input procyon. Your information is typically spot-on, and I'm sure of the same in this case as well. I've been picking up tidbits of info from various threads and want to offer up clear data and minimize any mis-information that I might spread.

I'll assume the cast crank got carried over to the later model Taurus/Sable?
Ford 500/Montego/Freestyle only. (Yes, I had forgot about the Freestyle, seems everyone else has) The 2008 Taurus/Sable/Taurus X are only available with the new 3.5L Duratec V6. It's a shame they're calling so many engines Duratec now though since the 3.5L shares almost no parts with the 3.0L.

Hey thanks again for correcting me on the cranks...anyone else? :crazy:lol

Question: Have you any way to verify that rocker arm ratio on the new engines. BuckeyeSVT was swearing up and down they were 2.0:1 and I'd really want to prove out or squash that rumor sooner rather than later.
He has made no attempt to clarify the statement since he posted it and we know we can't trust Ford Service Literature 100%. Hell I've even got older literature where they stated 2.0:1 rocker ratio on the old ones, just rounding the numbers up.

Maybe if someone gets an 04-05 engine with the different rocker arm and takes a picture of one on it's side and on its top with the ruler laying right next to it we can use the photos to calculate out the scale and key dimensions.

Question: Have you any way to verify that rocker arm ratio on the new engines.
I looked at the print for the old/new followers. None of the key dimensions changed so the ratio must be the same.

I don't think that you can figure out the ratio just from the follower. I believe that the ratio is a little bit of a dynamic number which changes slightly during the the valve's opening motions. Best way would be to put a dial indicator on a magnetic base and then stick it on the side of the valve on the retainer. Any good engine shop should have this equipment for degreeing pushrod engine camshafts.

Anybody know what timing cover the Freestyle uses??

And one more Q, now that the 3.5 has made it into the Taurus/Sable, have they changed transmission accordingly? What I'm getting at, is the bolt pattern & mounting the same so it could potentially be dropped into a Mystique? I know it's been discussed before, and the expectation is that it will be too large, and/or the tranny will be different, etc, etc. I'm simply wanting to verify what has been put into production matches what was expected on these forums.

Last edited:
Back