• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Good Window Tint Shop?

Yup. Still have her. Still haven't fixed that fog light yet. I've put a whopping 3500 miles on it this year. So we're up to 9800 miles.

I am seriously considering trading in for a used grey S60R at 128 Volvo. Lowered with a body kit. Looks mean and will fit a baby seat. It's a higher mileage car (69k), but looks to be in top shape. Like some real car freak owned it but just drove a lot.

bc78041e40463824004589eb6944c497.jpg

bc793f4340463824004589eb126d9fb7.jpg

300 HP! and AWD!

I'm looking to see if they'll do a straight up trade for the MSM so my payments will stay the same.

Story for you, just for fun.

I spent some time in the car business, selling Fords. It's a good environment to hear stories, particularly about the old days in the business -- Seventies and Eighties, usually, and I heard some pips. Here's one about how it used to be at 128 Ford.

128 always had a reputation as a hard-nut store. Old school selling, tough negotiating, etc. In an star-crossed effort to motivate the salespeople, management decided that no salesperson was allowed to come in the building unless they had an up (customer). Giving extra teeth to this shameless ploy was the fact that it was the dead of winter. So there are all the salespeople, standing outside with the cars, waiting for an up so that they can get back into the showroom and stave off freezing to death. I think it got to the point where they'd just cajole folks into coming in to get a cup of coffee and act like buyers so that they could go inside with them.

Separately, the R strikes me as a fun car. The only one to get is the manual, of course. The wagon is pretty slick, too -- a rather unique look, especially with that roof spoiler.

112_0303_01l+2004_volvo_v70r_wagon+rear_side_view.jpg

unfortunately, i think the MSM repalcement will need to be an auto-stick. this S60R is an auto-stick and so's our Saab.

i still have the bike if i want to shift myself...and we already have one wagon. i can't emasculate myself completely! (at least it's not a mini-van)....

good story, btw. i've heard that 128 is the "last stop" for car salesmen. When they've pissed off everyone else, 128 takes them into the school of hard knocks. they have hit some hard times recently. the Mazda and Ford segment was sold off and they are trying to work a real estate deal with a developer on that land near the highway. rumor has it that it's a hazardous site from years of dumping oil and antifreeze on the property.

Last edited:
baco99 said:
...rumor has it that it's a hazardous site from years of dumping oil and antifreeze on the property.

"Frank, did you get my Laker hightops?"
"Yeah -- Fletch, there's toxic waste on the soles. Whaddya been doing?"
"Jogging in the Love Canal."

v755244whlj.jpg

there's also a used 2001 S4 down the street. Asking $11,900. i don't know mileage. probably 80-90k. i know it will probably need a timing belt.
thougts?

there's also a used 2001 S4 down the street. Asking $11,900. i don't know mileage. probably 80-90k. i know it will probably need a timing belt.
thougts?

I'd stay away from it -- those cars were suited for leasing, as expensive maintenance and problems are commonplace above 60K.

I'd stay away from it -- those cars were suited for leasing, as expensive maintenance and problems are commonplace above 60K.

I agree. As much as I love the S4 for what they were new, I'd steer away from it.

i'm probably going to stay away from the Volvo too. been reading up on it at swedespeed.com and they guys there suggested waiting for an 05 if i really want the car. lots of problems with the 04 cars, especially above 50k miles.

the S4 is kind of a known enemy because my dad has an A6 and it's the same engine, but you're right. it's hella-expensive to fix.

i'll probably end up with another Saab when the time comes. they seem to be the only european performance cars that are easy on the wallet and don't have the snobbish cache of some of the others.

spotted this:
http://aeromotorcars.com/2000saab93viggen.aspx
0101100102100103122007101017db87931a184e1c6e007963.jpg

nice looking Viggen 5-door, 5-speed. hard to come by up here in New England.

Last edited:
Back