• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Nose falls of

Fordwerke

CEG'er
I'd the interior of my car pressure cleaned, and the seats looks awesome now. But the smell, rotten stench, it's vomiting awful, horrible. Much worse than before, and has nothing to do with the headliner, which wasn't touched. I dunno if gushes of Febreeze will do anything about. Maybe it will occult the fug, but not tackle the cause of the rottenness, which must be biological, it's so awful.

So my trouble is worse than any technical issue I can imagine, after having pressure cleaned the car, one cannot sit in it anymore.

S.O.S. HELP, what can I do??

Bring it back to where you had it cleaned and have them take care of it. Did the vehicle sit with the windows up for a long period after it wash cleaned...maybe you have a mold issue now??

Bring it back to where you had it cleaned and have them take care of it. Did the vehicle sit with the windows up for a long period after it wash cleaned...maybe you have a mold issue now??

Yeah, the whole day it sat in the sun with closed windows. The "place" was a carpet cleaner, who came with a van, did the stint, and left.

There was a big stain on the rear right seat. He covered it, after doing something, with a towel. Later, when I removed it, the stain was gone. I sniffed thru the car (the neighbours were like WTF?), and it is this spot which stinks immensely now.

Dunno what is going on there chemically or biologically, but it is horrendous.

if you can pull the seat out, let it sit in full sun for a couple days, the rays will kill any mold that may be growing...mybe put some baking soda on the spot after you do that to help soak up the extra stink. Then vacuum thoroughly

if you can pull the seat out, let it sit in full sun for a couple days, the rays will kill any mold that may be growing...mybe put some baking soda on the spot after you do that to help soak up the extra stink. Then vacuum thoroughly
If? Is it possible to pull the seat out in a 99 Mystique easily and put it back?

Sounds like because of the heat and the windows rolled up the moist interior has soured and creating a terrible smell. I think I would febreeze it really good and let it sit outside with the windows down and if that helps. If not, take it back to the place that cleaned it.

Just pull - it is attached by velcro. Push th seatbelts through and work at it.
Maybe your car has Velcro, but the Contour's rear seat bench is attached by a few white plastic clips. These clips are sure to break when you remove the seat; you will need to purchase a few (IIRC at the dealer), they are cheap.
You can put the seat back in properly, it just won't clip down without those clips. :)

screw the fabreeze hit that baby up with lysol or an industrial strength air freshener...anything with real odor killing ability and not just made to make the car smell pretty....

somehow, like was said you have to let sun and/or fresh air hit that seat and your interior....if you can keep the windows down as much as possible for several days....my oldest son left a half carton of muscle milk in the cupholder of the expedition during a 90+ degree heatwave...it was pretty bad....once we found it and removed it the truck still stank....we had to leave the windows open for a week before the smell completely cleared out

fabreeze may actually even help, but i personally hate that sh!z...it reminds me of the smell of ass covered up with fabreeze...which to me smells awful too

The issue at hand is an organic cause. The water and chems used for the cleaning activated bacteria that was most likely dormant in the seat foam under the seat covers. The result of moisture and heat (best way to grow bacteria) resulted in the odor. Best remedy for this is to use chlorine or bleach. I understand that this is not what you want to hear! Strip the covers off the seats, use 4 oz bleach to a gallon of water, saturate the foam, leave for at least 15 minutes, rinse with a garden hose, let dry. I wish i had a easy out for this. Just remember, each time that interior gets wet the odor will come back unless you kill the bacterial source that is most likely in the foam cushion of the seats.

Back