• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

a little help

Redeemer

Veteran CEG'er
ok I'm not sure on this but I figured id ask, ok when i start my car i hear something that sounds like a vacuum or some sort of blowing noise, then when in park my car sounds like its gonna stall out. I thought it could be a loose vacuum hose somewhere. But im not sure where. Yes i am still new to working on my car so a little help would be great. Pre-thanks.

With the engine running open the hood and listen for the "vacuum" noise, obviously be careful of any moving parts (belts, fan etc) when looking under the hood. See if you can determine where the noise is coming from exactly, or at least let us know approximately where it is coming from (drivers side, pass. side, front, rear...etc.). Check all your vacuum lines, there should be a vacuum line diagram on the underside of the hood, and then let us know.

I had the same problem. Check the vacuum hose on the back right side of the engine about half way done the back. Its a S shaped hose.

This is what mine looked like:

checkhere.jpg

Check halfway down the back of the engine right below this spot.

Hope this helps.

-Jared

Jared you are probably right. I had the same problem with my 2000 SE. The vacuum hose you are talking about comes from the bottom of the intake manifold and connects to the PCV Valve tube. Mine looked just like that too! Do you have any codes/Check engine light to go along with the symptoms??

Jared just want ya to know YOU ARE THE MAN!!! lol thanks thats exactly what it was. now I've got no more annoying vacuum noises. Thanks again.

Had a check engine light not really sure how to check for codes quite yet lol

..Had a check engine light not really sure how to check for codes quite yet lol
Drive to Autozone or Advance Auto. Tell them you need to check the codes for the CEL being lighted. Then post the exact codes here before buying anything to fix the problem.

Jared just want ya to know YOU ARE THE MAN!!! lol thanks thats exactly what it was. now I've got no more annoying vacuum noises. Thanks again.

Had a check engine light not really sure how to check for codes quite yet lol

No problem man. My car didn't throw any codes when this was happening so it took a while to find. Glad to see it helped.

Parting out an SVT? lmk I could use a project car. I will tow it if needed Just don't need to see an SVT die like that.
/QUOTE]

I have a Black '98 E1 ........

Edited by Tony2005. Classifieds posts are not allowed in General Troubleshooting. Send PMs if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
well after the whole problem, I went and cleared the codes to find out if that was done. The CEL stayed off for a few days but just came back on today. So I went back up to autozone and had them check the codes and it came up as a manufacturers code, then the guy told me id have to go to a dealership. Any clues anyone?

I caught the first few digits before the A$$ unplugged it, it was a P11 and thats all i managed to get. but as soon as he seen the code he unplugged it.

That was stupid of him... Hmm, close your eyes and pick one :laugh:

[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1100[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Mass Air Flow Sensor Intermittent.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1101[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Mass Air Flow Sensor out of Self-Test Range.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1112[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Intake Air Temperature Sensor Intermittent.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1116[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor is out of Self-Test Range.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1117[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Intermittent.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1120[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Throttle Position Sensor out of range.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1121[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Throttle Position Sensor Inconsistent with Mass Air Flow Sensor.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1124[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Throttle Position Sensor out of Self-Test Range.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1125[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Throttle Position Sensor Intermittent.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1127[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater not on During KOER Test.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1128[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Heated Oxygen Sensor Signals reversed.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1129[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Heated Oxygen Sensor Signals reversed.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1130[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Adaptive Fuel Limit - Bank No. 1.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1131[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1132[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank No. 1.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1135[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Ignition Switch Signal Missing or Improper.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1137[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Downstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1138[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Downstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank No. 1.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1150[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Adaptive Fuel Limit - Bank No. 2.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1151[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 2.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1152[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank No. 2.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1157[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Downstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 2.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1158[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Downstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank No. 2. [/FONT]

wow thats a lot of different codes I'm about to run back up there lol. its just around the block so ill brb again lol

[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1131[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1.

now what?
[/FONT]

the list of problems i found it could be is as follows

1. misfire on bank 1
2. vacuum leak affecting bank 1
3. fuel injector problem bank 1
4. engine mechanical condition

Considering I had to just replace this hose, anyone got any clue on what I should do?

DSCN0309.jpg

the check engine light went off, but it seems to still have the small problem of feeling like its going to stall. Its no where near as bad as before I replaced the hose. So should I replace the o2 sensor?

I would have the codes cleared after you write them all down, unless it is just that one code. Then see if the CEL comes back on and read the codes then.

Back