• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone know how to pull foglights from 98 mystique?

xtascox

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the complete fog light housing from a 98 Mystique LS. I want to take them off and clean the crap out of em because they are disgusting!:shocked: I disconnected the bulb connector and took out the one screw I could see, but it seems like they are still stuck in there!? Any ideas?

the bracket has a screw on top which is real easy to get at. it also has one on the bottom which can be pretty difficult to get. just gotta feel around with your finger till you find it.

I don't think I need a picture, thanks though. I'm going get em off after class this morning, but if for some reason I can't get em I let you know. Then I might need a picture haha.
Thanks again.

Looks like I'll need a picture. I took the bottom and top screw out along with the bulb connector and it still won't come out! I have to at least get the passenger side one all the way out so I can take it apart and clean the inside.

Well I thought I kept the pics I took when I took mine out, but apparently I deleted them.

Otherwise, You have to bake them open. Thats what I did. Just make sure you dont damage the chrome backing on the inside. I sanded mine all out, but it was because it was already half gone from water.:nonono:

Yea thats how mine are. In fact theres a little water in the passenger one as we speak. Any idea what I'm missing though? I got the top and bottom screws out and it still won't come out. Theres just one on the top right? Ughhh. Of course it takes 20 minutes to take my upper intakes apart and I can't even get my fog light out!:nonono:

Pictures of Mystique Foglamps

Pictures of Mystique Foglamps

I went out now and took these:

2 screws on top, 1 on bottom, spring screw is aim adjuster. My bottom screws needed replacing due to rusty clips/screws.

Fog1.jpg

fog2.jpg

Thanks for the pics, its hard trying to find the screws by feel, especially when your laying on hard asphalt with a flashlight in one had and a screw driver in another. Hopefully I can get them out tomorrow. How did you bake them? Same as headlights? Oh, and I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of green stuff. I can see this strange dark stuff across the lense on the inside. Can't wait to find out what it is...

I just threw mine in the oven set at 350 and left them in about five minutes then started to pull them apart. You have to throw them back in a couple times but its not hard. Just make sure you have a good silicone sealant to seal them back up.

Oh also I used steel wool on the lenses then clear coated them. They look 100% better.

I did pulled the one that was worst today and it seriously took an hour to get it off. I would have been better off pulling the bumper first. I ended up putting it back on with only one top screw and the bottom one because I couldn't even get to where the other screw was. But I didn't have time to bake it today so I ended up pouring car wash stuff inside it and shaking it around real good. Then I took a stick and scraped all the crap I could out of it. Looks 10 times better but the bulb got yellowed from the water in there. Next day off I'll bake em open and steel wool them. I sealed a crack across the top with gasket sealer but I'm eventually gonna need a new fog light. All in all, I'm pulling the whole bumper next time. Doesn't look that hard at all.

Back