• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

throttle issue

gman34

New CEG'er
okay so i have 98 contour with 160 k miles on it
the code is fuel is too lean but i don't think thats any issue.
but from time to time, i press on the throttle no matter how much, it kills the engine. it sounds like it gets a low idle and turns off. but it only happens when i am at a complete stop.
I have no idea what the problem might be so any suggestions would be appreciated!

I am tackling a similar problem, but I have a rich code instead. I would be willing to guess that the lean code IS your problem. Try the normal stuff like checking for vacuum leaks and cleaning the MAF and see if your code goes away and fixes the problem.

a lean code is a big issue, which specific check engine codes have you gotten? Helps a lot in the diagnosis process.

it sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere, post the specific codes that you pulled from the engine computer.

mine does the same thing and i get get it to stall out sometimes if i straight floor it. But i dont have a lean code.

alright, i replaced the fuel filter and no luck, i am going to check 4 vaccuim leaks tomorrow and let u know.

Watch the throttle area while someone revs the car... maybe the cable isn't working right, something could be loose or broken.

Back