• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

'98 Mystique Rear Windshield Brake LEDs - Mechanic BSing me?

Rynn

New CEG'er
My wife recently got her car pre-inspected so we'd know what it needs. Obvious stuff, it needs brakes and some work on the exhaust, no biggie. However, the mechanic is telling her that we will need to replace the entire rear brake assembly thing (the one centered behind the rear windshield) as they're LEDs and once one goes out you have to replace it for $60! When I had my '98 Contour, during my inspections the mechanic would just replace the individual bulbs when they burned out. I'm thinking this guy is BSing her big time. Does anyone know the part numbers for these lights so I can replace them myself?

Is it in the spoiler or inside the rear deck?

Hah, wish it had a spoiler!

It's actually the third brake light behind the rear windshield inside the car. I did some digging and found that my old Contour took the Sylvania 2723 lights, but I didn't know if the Mystique was somehow way different and took LEDs instead.

No...he is bs'ing you...

All Contour/Mystique's 1995-2000 had incandescent bulbs. No LED's unless I am very very wrong in which case I will be very very happy!

Edit: I just ran out to my 98 Mystique, and looked at the high mount brake lamp and they are incandescent bulbs...

Last edited:
They are incandescent bulbs and I changed them myself on my '99 Mystique a few years ago. Just put both hands on each side of the light mount and pull it away from the window. It will be obvious from there.

The spoiler 3rd brake light is LEDs... the rear window light has a few incandescent bulbs in it. Pretty easy to replace too.

Useless information: The third Brake light bulb is the exact same as the clock light.

Back