• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

what to check, no start

getsum111

Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late.
Hello all. My beloved pearl won't start. It's been acting wierd for a couple days, loosing power while driving, backfiring, and refusing to start. Then, after a few minutes (or not), it seems to drive fine. Friday it died at the local cruise, and threw codes P0351, 0352, and 0353, showing the coils A,B,and C were at fault. I also hve freeze frame data showing fuel trims if anyone needs those.
The coils is new, so I removed it, tested according to autozones link, and both primary and secondary windings tested ok. Drove it for a day, no problems, but today it quit at the gas station and won't start again. While cranking, I can smell fuel, so I'm thinking it's a lack of spark issue. Newer (3 months) autolite APP764's, and Taylor wires. As I said, coil tests OK. What should I check next. WHile waiting, I'm going to test the CPS sensor, since it also controls spark, but it is around a year old, so it shouldn't be bad yet. Any feedback woiuld be appreciated. THanks all.

Here's the freeze frame data:
Short term fuel trim 1 :32.8%
Long term fuel trim 1 : -9.2%
stft 2 : 26.5%
LTFT 2 :3.1%
STFT 3:-79.9%
LTFT 3: 58.5%
STFT 4 96.0%%
LTFT 4 47.6%

Fuel system 1 : CLSD
Fuel system 2 N/A
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Truthfully, this all means nothing to me, if anyone can decifer it for me, it'd be appreciated.

So you took the coil to autozone and tested it under ideal conditions?

Coil packs have been known to work fine when running cold, but once heated up start to fail, I think you might have a defective coil pack, have another one avail to you to swap in? Find a local u-pull and grab one. Harrry and I were looking into a similar issue on his SVT a short while back, all of the symptoms pointed to a coil pack (car drove fine at start up, but after warming up the car would sputter and run super rough, flash a CEL at him etc etc...) so I grabbed him a new coil, however, I never heard anything more about it.

Cam Position sensor is also very possible, you said yours is a year old... is it an OEM CPS? or did you autozone that part?

....and threw codes P0351, 0352, and 0353, showing the coils A,B,and C were at fault. ......The coils is new, so I removed it, tested according to autozones link, and both primary and secondary windings tested ok. Drove it for a day, no problems, but today it quit at the gas station and won't start again...WHile waiting, I'm going to test the CPS sensor, since it also controls spark, but it is around a year old, so it shouldn't be bad yet. Any feedback woiuld be appreciated. THanks all.

Yes, you are on the right track. Check the wiring and connector for the crankshaft position sensor. In addition, check the ground for the coil pack. Incidentally, what is the brand of the new coil you put in?

Thanks guys. Coil pack from autozone, and they said they can't test it at the store. The CPS I don't remember where I got it, probably AZ also. I'll check the connections at the CPS, and I think I've got an old coilpack I can try, we'll see what that does. Thans again.

OK, CPS tests at 320 Ohms, and Haynes manual calls for 200-900 ohms, so that's good. I'm checking for spark at the plug right now, but do not have an old coil to replace. If I suspect a bad/shorted wire to coil, ;what would be the best place to test voltage, at coil connector? And what should it read. Any help? Thanks again.

Cool. She sails again!!! :cool: One other symptom I forgot, for anyone else doing a search. While muted on the HU, my sub would still bump, not in time with anything. I'm guessing the short to the coil was somehow affecting the electrical to the amps. Just a heads up, should it happen to anyone else. Tony, and AJ, thanks for your help, guys. You rock!! :laugh:

Back