• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Focus shift tower

svtfan22

CEG'er
Well first let me say that searching on the site seems a lot harder after the update. I'm trying to source a focus shift tower and it is proving harder than I thought. I'm trying to find a use one but nothing yet so where did you guys get yours and what did you pay? Is Tousley my best bet? Anyone have a part number?

why do you want a focus tower? its no better then the one for the contour. plus it uses different cable ends so that needs to be changed also.

why do you want a focus tower? its no better then the one for the contour. plus it uses different cable ends so that needs to be changed also.

So there isn't a bolt to fall directly into the tranny. If it breaks, that is all that happens. You don't need to go "fishing"

So there isn't a bolt to fall directly into the tranny. If it breaks, that is all that happens. You don't need to go "fishing"

then get the late model contour style .... its a direct swap, no need to change cable ends. that and the feel from it is ••••. bushings to roller bearings, which would you prefer?

I was under the assumtion that the focus tower was stronger than ours but maybe not and I'm not going to pay that much for a tower from terry. Brapple what upgrades do you have on your turbo'd car if any for the trans? Also off topic of the tower but still on the trans what disc did you go with from clutchnet?

I was under the assumtion that the focus tower was stronger than ours but maybe not and I'm not going to pay that much for a tower from terry. Brapple what upgrades do you have on your turbo'd car if any for the trans? Also off topic of the tower but still on the trans what disc did you go with from clutchnet?

no, the focus tower is a different design then the late 99 and 2K cars and it used different cable ends. Like the contour towers it used bushings over roller bearings in the tower. the older contour towers use the roller bearings and feel better imho. The focus towers have the welds break just like the late contour towers.

I got my tower keyed by HMS. I also got a clutchnet red 6-puck clutch. overkill for non-boost applications, imho.

How much does terry usually charge to get a tower keyed, i just bought a focus tower... wish i would have seen this thread first. Ive broke two towers (one late and one early) in a week.

It's a bit pricey but good for piece of mind... IIRC its like $230 or something like that. I'd have to look at the receipt from my trans build to be sure. Its right around there though. Terry also doesn't just do the keyed tower he rebuilds the tower from the ground up replacing worn components. I've got a keyed tower in the SVT and have been strongly considering doing one in the Cougar as well.

It's a bit pricey but good for piece of mind... IIRC its like $230 or something like that. I'd have to look at the receipt from my trans build to be sure. Its right around there though. Terry also doesn't just do the keyed tower he rebuilds the tower from the ground up replacing worn components. I've got a keyed tower in the SVT and have been strongly considering doing one in the Cougar as well.

My focus shift tower is brand new so i think ill stick with it for know, i may have to hold on to the old one just for later on down the road cause im sure ill need it (assuming i can get a replacement bolt from ford) If this one doesn't last than i will def be making arrangements with terry.Thanks, Your input is appreciated

Shift tower- XS4Z-7201-CD
Shift Tower Cover YS4Z-7222-AC

I would suggest you contact steve at tously ford, hes pretty good with ceg'rs

Back