• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

fast zetec fan question (pre98)

offroadSVT

New CEG'er
95 Zetec - my electric fans aren't coming on and I'm overheating in traffic (fine on the highways).

1- anyone have a schematic for the 3 wires gonig into the fan? One for high speed, one for low and one for ground I assume, but not sure which is high or low.

2- Is there supposed to be a thermister between the wire harness and the electric fan? I'm trying to figure out if there is an aftermarket thing between the elecric harness and the fan, or if that thermister is stock (and what it does). If anyone can snap a pic of their pigtail going into the fan, that would help.

all the friggen wiring is cracked and shorted, so I'm trying to figure out where exactly the problem is

Your better off replacing the entire wiring harness. I know its a bit expensive and time consuming but it pays itself off in the end.

What I want you to do is turn your car on and turn the AC on(hopefully you have it.) This triggers the fans to come on. Now that the fans should be on, wiggle the connections and move the wires around until you hear it engage. You'll know what needs to be done if they engage from wiggling the connections.

But of course the fuses could be bad. Only come to this conclusion if the wiggle test doesn't engage the fan at all.

Hmm, what color do the thermister usually come in? There are something between the connector and fan but not sure what it is called. There is 3 yellow things that are on it, not sure what to call them.

good deal, I think I have this thing figured out. I rewired a fair amount of crap.

now the fan turns on when the temp gage gets to the "L" in normal and turns back of when the needle falls back under the "A". the car seems to settle somewhere in the "A".

does that seem normal or too high? All my other Fords run in the "O" area...

good deal, I think I have this thing figured out. I rewired a fair amount of crap.

now the fan turns on when the temp gage gets to the "L" in normal and turns back of when the needle falls back under the "A". the car seems to settle somewhere in the "A".

does that seem normal or too high? All my other Fords run in the "O" area...

No, that is perfect for the Zetec engine in our Contours :cool:

Back