• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Any common spots for oil leaks on the front of the motor, under exh manifold?

offroadSVT

New CEG'er
I just bought a 95 Contour to your for a DD and a break from driving my diesel everyday. When I bought the car, I knew there was an oil leak somewhere, but I thought it was the valve cover gasket since one end of the valvecover was covered in residue... so I put a new valvecover gasket on it and discovered another leak.

this one is below the exh manifold and above the oil pan gasket... basically right behind the cat where I can't see anything.

I bough the thing for $900 and just want to use it for running to work and back, but the leak is dripping right on the exhaust on the bottom of the cat, and I hate the smell of burning oil.

Any suggestions? Next week I'll going to pop the cat off (already started soaking the 4 bolts with PB blaster) and take a peak, but wouldnt mind a few pointers in advance

the only thing that it could be would be the oil separator. its a little, allmost triangular shapped piece thats bolted to the block in that location. it houses the PCV valve (which you might as well change since your in there). pull the separator off and check the gasket to see if it has been leaking. worst case is the serator itself is leaking and needs to be replaced.

Just a little tidbit more of information, there is a small piece of rubber hosing (approx 1 & 1/2 to 2" long) that connects the end of the PCV valve to a piece of metal tubing. Mine was cracked and very brittle. You might want to change it while you're inspecting/cleaning out the oil seperator. It'll create a vacuum leak if it cracks and cause a CEL. Oh and for what it's worth, you might as well replace the PCV valve and grommet all together. It's only a couple of dollars.

Back