• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98 vs. 99 or 00

Ft.WorthSVT

CEG'er
To all that have owned a 98 and a 99 or 00, which is a better year for the SVT? I know all the differences but was wondering to those of you who have owned either of these which they would prefer to buy again if they could? 99 and 00 are I guess identical but compared to the 98 as far as overall ownership, which is better? I know silly questions, but curious. Thanks.

I used to have 99' everything was stock, now I just bought a 3L 98' so I cant wait to see the difference, I think which ever year these cars are great! I dont wanna steal your trend but what is different between 98' and 99' or 00'. Can someone point me in the right direction to find out?

I far as I know the 98's had 5 less total horsepower than the 99 or 00, the brakes were bigger, the dash and center console was different and the fuel pump was a return style I think compared to non return style in the E1's. Basically I'am just wondering if the EO's are nicer than the E1's.

So does anyone who has owned an EO and E1 want to give some info on the topic?

the biggest thing for me is the E0's have the 4-bolt control arms. I have had 2 E0's and a 99 and a 00. when rouar and I swapped interiors, we kept finding small differences in the interiors, cigarette lighter, glove box latches different, the E0's have a panel between the dash and the glove box so you can't see behind it when it is open, gauges are different- E0's say "normal" on temp gauge, side molding is different on the doors, front calipers are different, wheels are different, stock tire size is different. The E0's have bumper supports that go from the front subframe to the corners of the bumpers, shifters are different in 00, dash clock. E0 have a baffle on the IAC where the later ones only have a short tube from the intake to the IAC. MAF's on the early ones are metal, plastic later on. return vs returnless.
I think that is all i got off the top of my head.

Basically, you really won't ever notice many things, I autocrossed both my 00 and my E0, and the E0 always felt better. I attributed that to the 4 bolt arms.

Thanks for your input on this, just what I was trying to get. It seems like Ford put a little more time and attention on the 98 then. I love my 00 but found a really good deal on a 98 here locally and was just wanting a little feedback from a few 98 owners like yourself. Thanks for your time. =)

brakes are the same size on all svtc's. calipars are different. but you can't say one has bigger pads than the other either.
i'd say get a 99 or 00,it's lighter:laugh:

Owning both a 98 and 00, I'd love my 98 a lot more. Ford cheaped out so much over the years and 00 really got the shaft.

Just a very quick example of stupid misc. parts they changed/removed:

1. Cheapy sun visors that feel like they will break if you touch them in the 00. 98 has much thicker visors. They removed screw caps from the screws holding the visor to the ceiling. Drivers side doesn't have a light for the mirror on the 00. :shrug:

2. Trunk latch covers under the fold down seats. Yeah, a small detail, but they just look so much better with the covers.

3. Black plastic bezel around the trunk release handle for 95-98. It's just a bare handle on the later models.

I can go on alllllll day about the million and 1 differences interior and exterior between the years, but those a just some quick examples. They cut costs with tons of little things like that over the years.

98 benefits from the restyling change after 97, but with still most of the cool features of the 95-97. 98.5 is when features really started to get decontented.

Just for clarification to the original poster:

you are mentioning "E0" and "E1" as if they are cut off dates for a 98 and then 99/2000.

E0 is for an EARLY build 98... E1 is for a LATE build 98.. 99/2000's are called just that... 99 or 2000.

Also, fwiw, the +5hp, and returnless changes, etc, didn't always occupy the same timeline as the E0/E1 split (98/98.5) OR the 98/99 split.. some are seemingly hap-hazard in the dates somewhere between the E1 change and the 99 change. (+5 HP was a '99 change.. some dash changes were an E0/E1 change, for example, while some interior dash changes were a 98/99 change.)

the biggest difference i've seen in my 98 and 99, is that my 99 ran whenever i bought it and i still haven't gotten to drive my 98, but it'll be worth it in the end :cry:

-The later returnless cars seem to get better gas mileage and also have a larger gas tank.

-Early cars had the shift cables with the ends that can be replaced.

-'00 has the slightly smaller displacement with the bump in compression to make up for it.

-Later cars had less sound deadening and also a lot of other decontended things as mentioned. Cheap feeling interior and the doors don't close as solid. I like the 4 bolt control arms because they hold up a lot longer even though they are more pricey.

-Sure the suspension changed but who cares since at this point it needs to go in the trash. Add a BAT or Koni Kit. Brakes don't matter either since you should be putting on the SVT Focus brakes. :D

I have a 98 and a 00 but I cant even compare since nothing about them can be compared except maybe the lca's:cool:

I think the 98.5 was the best one to own, They arent as well known for having wiring harness issues, still have the better dash which doesnt end up turning into a tidal wave dash, you could get red with Midnight blue interior (best color combo), and some of them have the dash clock. :D

Back