• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SIDESKIRTS

stuukaatz

New CEG'er
Going to the boneyard in search of sideskirts. can anyone tell me what tools are needed to remove them? Thanks for your help!

True enough. What about the Jack covers? Anything special there or do they just pry out? Thanks again!

those pop out with a bit of squeezing and wiggling. some can be worse than others but theyre not too bad.
if you're having trouble try squeezing the jack point near the top when pulling down. theres 2 clips that 'click' into a slot and that should free em.

You might want to see if you can get the mounting brackets as well but since they are rivited to the car, they might not be worth it.

I'm not completely sure how the mounting hardware is on there, but IIRC they're riveted on...

You may want to bring a cordless drill so you can drill out the rivets and take the mouting hardware...

Just pry the mounting brackets off the car with a flathead. You'll NEED those to mount your skirts. Buying them individually from Ford ends up costing more than a set of brand new skirts with the brackets included. :laugh:

You'll need to drill your car and attach them with pop rivets.

THE MOUNTING BRACKETS!!!!

a lot of people complain about removing them, because its super easy to wreck them.

I found a way to remove them easily without an issue, see the mounting brackets are studded to the metal on the body of the car, the good news is, the stud is a plastic one, so what you can do, is get a SUPER skinny flat head screw driver, insert it between the mounting backet and the metal of the car right above one of the studs (there are two, one on both ends of the bracket) take a hammer, and hit the screwdriver so it breaks the stud, should free up that side instantly, do the same for the other side of the stud, so you get your mounting brackets with open holes on either side (the stud will fall out).

When you mount the skirts on your car, just go to any auto parts store or home improvement store and get some short metal tapping screws, and a bottle of RTV, use the RTV on the metal tapping screws, so when you put the brackets on your car, it makes a nice seal to keep from rust forming.

I replaced my rivets with nutserts and stainless bolts.
2005-07-26014.jpg

this might make me look stupid but SE's come with side skirts? really didn't know that. Anyone got a pic of any?

take a flat head screw driver and a hammer. also a phillips head screw driver. when u have the skirts off the mounting brackets, use the flat head and hammer to break the black tabs that hold the skirt on the bottom, making sure not to break them, then when they're all off and the phillips on either ends are off the skirt comes right off, then for the brackets hit either end of the bracket with the screw driver and hammer and they break right off. should take all of 10 minutes.
Here are 2 pics of cars with SE side skirts...
2652849_7_full.jpg

c4bc_1.jpg

and here is my mystique w/o skirts...
IMG_0361.jpg

Last edited:
Looking for covers for SE side skirts and yes just as "95 Mystique " decsribed, everything off in 10 minutes. Local boneyard has had some really good finds for me. I'm not sure why some SE's have sideskirts and others don't. Were they an option or did they come standard with certain model year SE's ? Anyone know the answer to that one?? Also, I have only seen 1 SVT in the boneyard during the past year that I have been going off and on. It was a mess though, was either rolled or crushed by something. Damn shame too as it looked exceptionally clean if you know what I mean...paint was . Couldn't even salvage the seats out of it.

Last edited:
Looking for covers for SE side skirts and yes just as "95 Mystique " decsribed, everything off in 10 minutes. Local boneyard has had some really good finds for me. I'm not sure why some SE's have sideskirts and others don't. Were they an option or did they come standard with certain model year SE's ? Anyone know the answer to that one?? Also, I have only seen 1 SVT in the boneyard during the past year that I have been going off and on. It was a mess though, was either rolled or crushed by something. Damn shame too as it looked exceptionally clean if you know what I mean...paint was . Couldn't even salvage the seats out of it.

standard 95-98 for SE's, 98.5-00 required the "sport package" to get the skirts among other things.

Back