• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

fuel pump sock on return style system

bxd20

CEG'er
I will be replacing my early 99, return style, fuel pump tonight. I ordered my direct replacement pump through Bill Jenkins and hopefully it arrives today.

I have done a lot of searching and every time I read about the fuel sock (aka strainer), and how it kills pumps by clogging up and starving them.... it is being discussed in a thread specifically related to the later returnLESS fuel systems.

So my question is, should I, with the return style, toss the sock, or keep it?

Will my new assembly come with a new sock?

Is the sock attached to the pump or tank?

If there's any other pearls of wisdom from one of you with a return system, please do share.

Thanks!

since everything is realted to the returnless system I wouldn't worry about it. I believe, iirc that returnless pump has two filters and that is why you can leave one out.

I just had mine out of my 99 and it was nice and clean.

since everything is realted to the returnless system I wouldn't worry about it. I believe, iirc that returnless pump has two filters and that is why you can leave one out.

You're counting the pump strainer as one of those filters or no?

Keep the sock but delete the disc-shaped screen at the bottom of the basket. If you must reuse the old sock clean it up good using soapy water and a toothbrush.

Keep the sock but delete the disc-shaped screen at the bottom of the basket. If you must reuse the old sock clean it up good using soapy water and a toothbrush.

Since the OP is working on an early 99 with the return system, there is no disc-shaped screen at the bottom of the pump basket.

Keep the sock filter. Depending on what you bought, there is a good chance that the new pump includes a new sock.

The problems you have been reading about were on the late 99 and newer that were cursed with the returnless system.

done

done

Wanted to update everyone, especially those who will search this thread later for advice. Everything went fairly smooth. I DID have to cut the hole bigger with snips as shown in the how to, so I don't know if older cars don't need that or not. Mine again, is a 3/99 build. I also was able to do the whole job with a full tank of gas. Wouldn't be my preference, BUT, I shown a flashlight into the hole and there was no debris/dirt so I didn't need to clean it out. It's workable and a timesaver.

Good luck!

Back