• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec Alternator

protege_chris

CEG'er
Is there a how-to around here anywhere for pulling the alternator on the zetec (I havea 95). It's been sitting for three months, and I want to fix it.

Local JY has a 95 with 33,000 miles, so I can pull one from there. just not sure how to get it out the simplest way

Huge black thing? I think you speak of the air intake plenum. Just take it off, but don't drop anything in the throttle body :laugh: haha.

I've had that plenum off for 3 months.. haha.

I meant the black steel piece that is on the passenger side of the motor right above everything I need to get to, with the large arse bolts.

um..i have seen some of the earlier models with a massive t shapped engine mount, this may be what he is refering to....OP post pics so people don't think you are a complete noob.....or mabey post pics to comfirm that you are, whatever the situation:shrug:

on my tempo i had to remove th mount for some repairs, i was able to use a board between the jack and oil pan and jacked the engine up to remove the mount....please note this does not work on all vehicles!! i don't wanna be responsible for holes in oil pans!!..use common sence!

Huge black thing? I think you speak of the air intake plenum. Just take it off, but don't drop anything in the throttle body :laugh: haha.

:p HAHA!! told ya so!!

that is a freaky motor mount....hang on i'll go look at my 95 to see what kind it has...mabey i can help :shrug:

Yes that is the motor mount. Place a piece of 2x4 up against the bottom of the engine and hold it up with a jack. Remove the motor mount, but be prepared to break a bolt/nut or two. I would recommend having a couple handy.

i just looked at mine and it looks to me like the alt shud come right out if the upper plenum is off...just remove belt and the bolt holding the alt on...or am i missing something?

and yes mine has the big azz mount too

the alternator can be removed without removing that mount but it is much easier with it off. jack up the car and place on jack stands. take the jack and a block of wood and support the engine under the oil pan. remove the 6 18mm nuts and remove the mount. you may have to remove the bracket for the power steering line before removing the mount but it has to be done anyways, an 8mm and 10mm wrench for that. use the same 8mm wrench to disconnect the ground strap bolted to the bracket. using a 10mm 1/4" drive socket and ratchet, reach down the behind the alternator to undo the nut holding the power wire on. also disconnect the large plug by pressing the metal tab and pulling. leave the small single wire plug until you have unbolted the alternator and can see what your doing. go below and remove the 2 10mm bolts holding the splash shield on. using a 13mm wrench, release the tension on the belt and remove the belt from the alternator. then remove the bolts holding the alternator to the bracket. there are 2 from under the car, one facing the passenger side and one facing the drivers side (this one can be extremely difficult to break loose). the third bolt is up above. once all the 3 bolts are out, slide the alternator from the bracket and rotate it so you can see the small plug. using a small flat head screwdriver CAREFULLY pop the plug off, it will break if you are not careful. turn the alternator so you are holding the pulling upwards and the double ears are between the head and the intake manifold. from there you can wiggle it out.

HTH

Thank goodness for search! I was trying to find out how the small connector came off the alternator and found striker2's mail above which also gave me the rest of the details on pulling the alternator. I couldn't tell whether the connector as a push the tab or lift or even where the tab was located while the alternator was still mounted. After I pulled it and rotated it, I could see it was a lift the tab and it came right out. I did not have to remove any engine mount but I did have to disconnect the bracket for the power steering line.

Now to have it tested! Anyone have any preferences on replacing alternators? Between Autozone and Advance I was leaning toward the Autozone one with lifetime warranty. Another alternative would be to have the original one rebuilt at one of the local shops.

Scott

Thank goodness for search! I was trying to find out how the small connector came off the alternator and found striker2's mail above which also gave me the rest of the details on pulling the alternator. I couldn't tell whether the connector as a push the tab or lift or even where the tab was located while the alternator was still mounted. After I pulled it and rotated it, I could see it was a lift the tab and it came right out. I did not have to remove any engine mount but I did have to disconnect the bracket for the power steering line.

Now to have it tested! Anyone have any preferences on replacing alternators? Between Autozone and Advance I was leaning toward the Autozone one with lifetime warranty. Another alternative would be to have the original one rebuilt at one of the local shops.

Scott

If you have a sound system in your car, I recommend that you get a high power output alternator. They come in 160amp, 200amp and 220amp. Take a look at this link.

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/c-5383-high-output.aspx

Nothing special for audio here. Just a standard AM/FM/CD receiver so more power is not really necessary.

Scott

Back