• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Checking the Airbag Sensor Mounting

DDV

CEG'er
Tools required
10mm combination wrench
1/4" drive tools
-Ratchet
-6" extension
-3" extension
-8mm socket
Pick-up magnet (optional)
Small wire brush

1. Open the hood.
2. Use the 10mm wrench to disconnect the cable from the positive (red, +) terminal on the battery.
3. WAIT A MINIMUM OF 10 MINUTES (longer is better!) BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 4!

Did you wait?

4. Use the 1/4" tools to remove the two bolts securing the airbag sensor; see Figure 1:
-The magnetic pickup tool can be used to hold the bolt and keep it from getting lost.
-Access the bolts through the front grille.
5. Move the sensor side-to-side and up-and-down to remove it from the radiator bracket. (It has a "T" that fits into the radiator bracket.)
6. Use the wire brush to clean the back of the airbag sensor and the radiator bracket.
7. Install the bolts to secure the airbag sensor:
-Use the magnetic pickup tool to hold the bolt in place while using the 1/4" tools to tighten the bolt.
8. Repeat these steps for the other sensor as required.
9. Connect the cable to the positive terminal on the battery.

Attachments

• airbag sensors 1.jpg
    airbag sensors 1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Unless you want to replace the airbags in the car after, wait a MINIMUM of 10 minutes. I personally wait about 30 when I do anything with the airbag system. Call it being overly cautious but I rather wait a little longer than have an airbag explode in my face.

well there is always the chance since you are messing with the sensor. but there is a second safing sensor in the dash that must also trigger to set off the airbags.

Unless you want to replace the airbags in the car after, wait a MINIMUM of 10 minutes. I personally wait about 30 when I do anything with the airbag system. Call it being overly cautious but I rather wait a little longer than have an airbag explode in my face.

Only one minute is required to allow the system to discharge the backup supply. Anything more than that simply isn't needed based on how the system works. See the factory service manual.

Steve

I tried this the other day and it did not solve my 4-5 issue :shrug:

Have you cleaned the connections? That's another solution.

The connections are on the engine side of the radiator bracket.

Since I did the cleaning of the brackets, the code has not been back (knock on wood).

Since I did the cleaning of the brackets, the code has not been back (knock on wood).

What connections? I have a pre98 and the sensor can not be separated from the bracket, it is held on with rivets... I took the whole bracket off the radiator and cleaned the metal on the radiator, the back of the bracket, the front of the bracket where I could, and the two screws with my wire brush...

Only one minute is required to allow the system to discharge the backup supply. Anything more than that simply isn't needed based on how the system works. See the factory service manual.

Steve

I know what the manual says, but I have read stories about airbags being set off even after the manufacturers specified time.

IIRC, someone on here posted about a Ford technician being killed when he was working on an Explorer(?). He waited a few mins, and proceeded to work on the car. The airbag went off in his face and threw his head back towards the b-pillar and snapped his neck.

Unless I'm in a rush, I don't care if I wait a little longer then come back to it.

hmm ill have to try this, as i have the 4-5 issue as well. well actually it hasnt come on since i put in new headlights so ill wait until i see it again which i hope i dont. maybe i just pinched a wire or something when i replaced a bulb a little while ago.

Watch that video that's floating around here of someone setting off a Contour airbag in their yard. It'll make you think twice about not waiting awhile for the system to discharge it's current.

Edit: I couldn't find the video, so I uploaded it. Here's the link: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v415/matt151617/?action=view&current=contourairbag.flv

That situation is completely irrelevant to the task at hand.

An over-abundance of caution is one thing, but if you're paranoid, it's probably better to leave what ever risk there may be to someone willing to take it.

That situation is completely irrelevant to the task at hand.

An over-abundance of caution is one thing, but if you're paranoid, it's probably better to leave what ever risk there may be to someone willing to take it.

It's not about being paranoid, it's about being cautious so you don't get hurt. I'd hate to see anyone get hurt or killed. Always wearing safety glasses when doing any work on the car? Call it paranoid, but the first time a sharp piece of metal snaps off and ricochets off the glasses, it doesn't seem so paranoid anymore.

A 4-5 code or "not mounted properly" can be fixed on a '98 model by removing the black harness cover and examining the wiring. There is a recall covering the problem. Those plastic harness covers were not slit in the side like many, when mounted the harness formed a U shaped loop that would hold water picked up during a storm or heavy rain. Water eventually attacks the wires, also heat from radiator contributes to wires cracking and corroding. Both sides of mine affected at different times. I cut wires close to plugin and sensor and patched in new fresh wires with well crimped connectors, reusing the black harness cover after I cut an opening half in the middle of black cover. That allows water to drain at the low point when wiring mounted back up in the U shape. When mounting the sensor, make sure you have a good ground between sensor and frame mounting point, thinking airbag computer looks for a ground there to verify sensor good. Scrape paint/rust if you gotta. Fixed my "sensor not mounted properly" problem permanently.

Back