• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spark plugs replacement

PacificTourG

Veteran CEG'er
Well, I'm thinking about replacing my spark plugs and wires. I did a search on the old forums and found some good info. The stock plugs orignally came with two singles platinums and two double platinums, but that it's fine to replace them with all double platinums. Also found that the gap is suppose to be .050. I want all to be double platinums.

I read that Autolite APP5344 and Autolite APP5344 spark plugs are a popular choice. If there are two model numbers, which one is the best choice?

Motorcraft spark plugs are another choice. I don't know if I should go with Autolites or Motorcraft. Which one is the best option? I read that they are about the same, but I don't know. If there are any other recommendations, let me know.

Last edited:
im running some kind of motorcraft. but i think i have mine gapped at .044. i didnt like the fact of them being at .050.

if your going to a parts store, get either napa belden or advance auto usually carries motorcraft wires. not certain if they have it for the contour.

oh, and i just put in some autolite double platinums. the plugs i had in there got fouled after i did a piston soak. good thing i didnt go to the track. but nothing special about the autolites, they spark. thats about it. i wanted some denso u-grooves or ngk v-powers to try out.

Back