• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Contour SVT horn

Contour horn:

goose.jpg
http://www.giulianohazan.com/school/images/goose.jpg

I just went to Autozone and got the opposite of what I had. (High or low) Next question for the DIY would be (cause I don't remember), is the stock horn high or low?

I just went to Autozone and got the opposite of what I had. (High or low) Next question for the DIY would be (cause I don't remember), is the stock horn high or low?

I think it is the high tone, but I would need to double check

I think all SVT's came with dual horns. Check and see if both are present. Sometimes the stock horns just need adjusting when they fail. You usually need to take the horn off the car to adjust it. You will find a screw on the outer edge with some sealer keeping ti from drifting. Take a screwdriver and play with the screw roughly a 1/4 turn at a time while using small jumper wires to connect it up, one to ground and the other to the terminal. Play with the screw until it honks strongly.

I was reasonably happy with my dual horns, but wanted a bit more. I bought a pair of Freeway Blasters. Same company as the originals, although louder and tuned slightly higher. After mounting up the blasters, I started playing with the old and new horns looking for a nicer tone with three of them. I ended up using all four.

So now I have quad horns. The sound isn't bad, and they are much louder than the stockers.

i almost feel embarassed to even use my horn. makes me feel like im a little kid riding a tricycle or something. i think i may go buy a real horn!

i almost feel embarassed to even use my horn. makes me feel like im a little kid riding a tricycle or something. i think i may go buy a real horn!

And IMO Hella's sound even worse. Sure they're loud but that high pitch tone just doesn't do it for me :laugh:

I think the Hella dual electric horns sound pretty aggressive and I enjoy honking at every opportunity. Since their "supertone" kit is a little louder and the low tone is a little lower, I'd guess that would even be more aggressive sounding.

Uhm... a coffee truck????

it sounds like a locomotive horn/Air Horn.. nothing different than any other air horn except the decibel level is much higher than those you can get for "cars" (135-145dbls for cars) I think these are 165dbls..

MUCH louder

haha iv thrown a dixie land horn in my car. definately beats the original and it certainly turns heads when i honk even though they are all lookin for a general lee. funny tho.

Back