• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P0401 still

AliasJerk

Addicted CEG'er
Replaced the DPFE and EGR valves, thought I was good, didnt get a CEL for about 500 miles, then it poped back on again yesterday evening, so I cleared the code, continued to drive it, after about 20 more miles the code came back up again.

Today I pulled the throttle body to check the EGR passageways, I knew they were clean but I wanted to be sure, and they still were clean as the last owner had just done a UIM rebuild, checked the vac line going to the EGR, its in good shape, so now I dont know what to do, is it possible that I've had 2 bad EGR valves? I know its rare for them to fail, but I suppose it could happen? :shrug:

Have you tested the EGR valve and passages by doing a "suck test"? That would easily answer your question.

Was the DPFE sensor a Ford or aftermarket one?

Steve

Have you tested the EGR valve and passages by doing a "suck test"? That would easily answer your question.

Was the DPFE sensor a Ford or aftermarket one?

Steve

Ford, pulled from a junked car, for the DPFE sensor, before I replaced the DPFE I used to get two codes, P0402 and P0401, after replacing the DPFE I got P0401 only.

how do I perform the "suck test" *puts flame suit on*

I would have no confidence in that junk sensor.

Connect a vacuum line to the EGR valve, start the engine and run at an idle, then pretend it's a milkshake.

A good EGR valve with clean passages will allow you to almost kill the engine. It should stumble heavily when suction is applied to the EGR valve at idle.

Steve

I would have no confidence in that junk sensor.

Connect a vacuum line to the EGR valve, start the engine and run at an idle, then pretend it's a milkshake.

A good EGR valve with clean passages will allow you to almost kill the engine. It should stumble heavily when suction is applied to the EGR valve at idle.

Steve

and thats the thin vacuum line at the top of the EGR valve, correct?

I havent done a lot to figure it out, I've been clearing the codes and letting them come back for the past couple of weeks to figure out the issue. P0401 and 402 comes back spiratically, occasionally just 401, but more often both 401 and 402, so im narrowing it down to the DPFE, I got another one (the plastic DPFE this time) to try out and see if it fixes my issue.

I also go P0460 the other day, which I thought was wierd because my fuel gauge is reading perfectly, probably a fluke, but im not too concerned about that.

OK.. Keep me updated. Just got the 401 today.
I cleaned my UIM / LIM not too long ago, but we see what is what when I pull the TB off this weekend.

EGR valves RARELY go bad. The largest thing IMO is having a good DPFE. It doesn't take much moisture to make one crap out. I'd go OEM but then again I have an aftermarket one after I got the code. Hasn't returned in 1.5 years.

I also go P0460 the other day, which I thought was wierd because my fuel gauge is reading perfectly, probably a fluke, but im not too concerned about that.

I've gotten random sporadic codes if the battery was low and I tried to crank the car anyway. rapid power loss/regain freaked it out. They happen..

What about the solenoid? This model does have one I assume. DPFE controls solenoid which controls EGR valve.

What about the solenoid? This model does have one I assume. DPFE controls solenoid which controls EGR valve.

The DPFE sends signal to the PCM which, under the control of its programming, controls the EVR solenoid to apply vacuum to the EGR valve when EGR flow is to be commanded.

The DPFE does not control the EVR solenoid, it is important to remember that the computer is in control.

Steve

Yes, that is true, however just disconnect that DPFE and watch what happens. The control is indirect, but there nonetheless. PCM in all its' glory can't do anything without proper inputs except make car run badly. So, what controls what??? Hmmmm...............

Todras, who makes an aftermarket DPFE sensor? Ford ones suck, have been through 3, including the new GOOD modified one from them for Focus. New cures problem but several thousand miles later that one goes bad.

I don't know what brand. I bought it at Advance Auto. The want a plastic one just like the Ford revised one.

Well I found the reason behind my 401 code.
I get the "DURR" award

While installing my OMP bar I knocked the little vacuum line off of the top of the black disc that sits on the EGR valve.

Put it back on, cleared my code.. and it hasn't come back.

Back