• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wat!

Cel on for months, mechanic said its Cat and will last a while longer OK. Now apx 3 days ago I'm goin' to the store start off from a light and engine shudders a bit, starts running VERY Rough and cel stars Flashing. Wat Is Goin' On??????

Will have it towed to shop soon as I get new Cat, but Mechanic thinks its not the cat (hasn't read new codes just via my Phone call).

Ideas appreciated, its a 96 zetec MTX w/100,000 miles that has run strong up to that day.

It is possible that it is misfiring if the CEL was flashing. CEL will flash for misfire and cats most commonly, but the engine won't necessarily "shudder" as you say if the cats are bad. Check all your spark plug wires and make sure the boots are snug on the plugs. Might want to check the condition of the plugs as well. Both might need replacing...

One thing I've learned in many visits to South FL, no one is originally from S. FL. Plenty of Bostonians and New Yorkers...

a flashing CEL indicates a MISFIRE, not catalytic converter failure... cat failure throws an 0420/0430 code with a steady CEL...

:confused:

Last time I had service(CEL, oil/filter ,a/c, tire rotation) the guy told me the CEL was for Cat. He reset it and said it would return (it did in about a week) but ran fine for months..................Until the "Wat" incident. I told him what happin'd he does Not think its the Cat, but I've ordered one already, needs a/c gas and oil change anyway.
We'll See!

BTW: I'm from VA, been here for 46 yrs (got the Wat from my Necies 11 and 17....................)

Back