• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The end is near......

There is an easy test to tell you if it is the thermostat or the water pump. If the heater is hot, the water pump is working and look elsewhere, probably the thermostat. If the heater is cold while the engine is overheating, you have no circulation and it is probably the water pump.

Mechanics that are not familiar with Contours usually blame the thermostat first only to later discovering that they did not find the problem.

Check for heat from the heater and go from there!

the waterpump and thermostat are easy fixes . dont give up that easy. i think the thermostat is like 10 bux or so. i am not sure on the waterpump. but its not going to be that expensive. you are going to spend more on the labor from the shop. i used the chiltons book and it showed me how todo everything

Your an idiot Bobby.

Your car potentially has something significantly wrong with it, and you continue to ask if it'd be okay to drive it a bit.

Its like having a knife in your back, is it ok, if I just twist it a little bit?

I see you are ragging on your Contour because you beat the hell out of it. Why didn't you just listen to everyone that tried to advise you, to do it right, right out of the gates>? Why did you keep asking the same question till you got an answer you liked?

Seriously though, have you tried looking for obvious things? Like when its overheating, are the engine fans running? Or was that not one of the suggestions you wanted to hear?

I hope your engine is toast, maybe then other drivers can be safe while your unsafe car is off the road. I'd say you'd be off the road too, but your just gonna substitute the taurus for a beating in place of the contour.

Learn to listen to people who know more than you. You are just a kid, but don't be the stereotypical one that thinks he's the **** and knows everything. Lots of people here and TCCA tried to steer you in the right direction, look where you are at now.

It's 99% water pump.
You asked anyone experienced first hand? Me. I saw exactly the bubbling in the water reservoir. I did not push it and immediately had it replaced. That's why I still get a perfect running car I love.

I'll put an offer to buy the car. I'll drive up to the Cape. Hell, Brian and I should buy it together and profit on your idiocy.

When my EWP went and the water temp was in the red, I turned the engine off, safely coasted to a stop and called AAA. Saved myself the headaches and b/s you are putting yourself and others through.

Love when ppl post yet don't listen. WTF!!!! It's such an easy fix. The t-stat housing is held together by 2 bolts. Yes, 2!!!!!!!! Takes 2 seconds to put a new one in. If the car still heats up after replacement move onto the W.P. That's held in by like what 6 bolts? :help:

I'll put an offer to buy the car. I'll drive up to the Cape. Hell, Brian and I should buy it together and profit on your idiocy.

When my EWP went and the water temp was in the red, I turned the engine off, safely coasted to a stop and called AAA. Saved myself the headaches and b/s you are putting yourself and others through.

How come you guys get to profit? You already have SVT's...I have just have a stupid pre98 GL. Can I call dibs? :laugh:

Love when ppl post yet don't listen. WTF!!!! It's such an easy fix. The t-stat housing is held together by 2 bolts. Yes, 2!!!!!!!! Takes 2 seconds to put a new one in. If the car still heats up after replacement move onto the W.P. That's held in by like what 6 bolts? :help:

the whole housing is held on by 3 bolts and they is what you get when you buy a waterpump from the dealer. otherwise it like 6 or 8 bolts, two for the battery and two for the battery tray ....

and he just started at UTI for automotive ... i hope they have a good program ...

knowing how do do your own work on your vehicle: priceless

Your an idiot Bobby.

Your car potentially has something significantly wrong with it, and you continue to ask if it'd be okay to drive it a bit.

Its like having a knife in your back, is it ok, if I just twist it a little bit?

I see you are ragging on your Contour because you beat the hell out of it. Why didn't you just listen to everyone that tried to advise you, to do it right, right out of the gates>? Why did you keep asking the same question till you got an answer you liked?

Seriously though, have you tried looking for obvious things? Like when its overheating, are the engine fans running? Or was that not one of the suggestions you wanted to hear?

I hope your engine is toast, maybe then other drivers can be safe while your unsafe car is off the road. I'd say you'd be off the road too, but your just gonna substitute the taurus for a beating in place of the contour.

Learn to listen to people who know more than you. You are just a kid, but don't be the stereotypical one that thinks he's the **** and knows everything. Lots of people here and TCCA tried to steer you in the right direction, look where you are at now.

rotflmao_2.gif

Welcome to the CEG! Apparently you know Bobby well. ;)

Bob: Dude, listen to the advice you have been given!!! You are being told the same thing over and over and yet you still want to drive/start the car and see if the coolant boils. It's going to boil until you fix the problem...step away from
the car keys.

The WP and thermostat are easy to DIY.

Hopefully by now this problem has been corrected. In the future, please listen to the advice that you are given.

You stated: "well i didnt want search, i want opinions about my current my situation. because i doubt anyone has gone through the same situation i have."

LoL.gif

Believe me, you aren't the only one that this has happened to. That's why we tell people to search, chances are slim that your problem is something new.

I feel better now. :)

Oh, if you search you will find a how-to for both the t-stat and WP.

Last edited:
no he needs to come back. that beautiful car doesnt stand a chance if he doesnt come here so we can tell him when he's being dumb

no he needs to come back. that beautiful car doesnt stand a chance if he doesnt come here so we can tell him when he's being dumb

Well, you have a point. He DOES need to come back, but only so he can sell his car to a more deserving CEGer...

Back