• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Does ABS controller need to be reset when problem is cleared?

Bill Putney

New CEG'er
The ABS light has always been intermittent on this car ('96 zetec Mystique). It finally went solid on.

Troubleshot it down to a bad wheel speed sensor (tip had been damaged sometime in the past). Replaced with new sensor (sensor tests good with ohmmeter). Still have light on dash. I have disconnected the battery several times, and used the code thing at Advance to reset all codes.

Do ABS codes have to be reset by a dealer or special machine, or does the light still being on mean there's still a problem in the ABS controller?

TIA!

Do ABS codes have to be reset by a dealer or special machine, or does the light still being on mean there's still a problem in the ABS controller?

TIA!
Check that your connectors are inserted properly and wiring is not chafed or kinked. What was the CEL code previously and what is the code now? And what was the ABS "blink" code and what is it now? How long did you wait before reconnecting the battery? And if you don't have the proper code(s), you may want to send it in for a one hour diagnostic if the ABS light is still on.

Edit. Info from Ford CD,

"The amber anti-lock brake warning indicator will come on for numerous reasons. It warns the driver that the anti-lock brake system has been turned off due to a concern that exists in the system. Normal power-assisted braking remains but the wheels can lock during a panic stop while the indicator is on. Certain procedures must be followed to find the malfunction in this situation. They are outlined in this section.
Make sure the diagnostic procedures are followed step-by-step in order as indicated.
WARNING:
FOLLOWING THE WRONG SEQUENCE OR BYPASSING STEPS WILL LEAD TO UNNECESSARY REPLACEMENT OF PARTS, AND/OR INCORRECT SERVICE."

Last edited:
If the light is still on, you still have a fault.

The ABS light will reset itself only when the ABS controller runs and passes all self tests. It does not need and, for the most part, cannot be reset by other means.

Steve

Last edited:
Check that your connectors are inserted properly and wiring is not chafed or kinked. What was the CEL code previously and what is the code now? And what was the ABS "blink" code and what is it now?
I don't think there were any codes stored - I just put it thru the code reset using the Advance code reader just in case it might have some effect (i.e., wishful thinking).

ABS blink code? How do I get that?

How long did you wait before reconnecting the battery? And if you don't have the proper code(s), you may want to send it in for a one hour diagnostic if the ABS light is still on.

The battery was disconnected for a couple of days until I got the new sensor and installed it. What is this one-hour diagnostic?

Edit. Info from Ford CD,

"The amber anti-lock brake warning indicator will come on for numerous reasons. It warns the driver that the anti-lock brake system has been turned off due to a concern that exists in the system. Normal power-assisted braking remains but the wheels can lock during a panic stop while the indicator is on. Certain procedures must be followed to find the malfunction in this situation. They are outlined in this section.
Make sure the diagnostic procedures are followed step-by-step in order as indicated.
WARNING:
FOLLOWING THE WRONG SEQUENCE OR BYPASSING STEPS WILL LEAD TO UNNECESSARY REPLACEMENT OF PARTS, AND/OR INCORRECT SERVICE."
I've read that in the FSM several times - doesn't seem to be any info. there to help with this.

If the light is still on, you still have a fault.

The ABS light will reset itself only when the ABS controller runs and passes all self tests. It does not need and, for the most part, cannot be reset by other means.

Steve
That's what I was thinking (especially since the light used to go on and off on its own periodically when it used to be intermittent) - I just wanted to make sure before I spent more time troubleshooting in case there's really nothing wrong and it just needs to be reset.

I'm taking it to my regular repair shop tomorrow for state inspection (I just learned that the ABS light being on willl not cause them to fail it for the inspection - I had assumed that an ABS light would be automatic failure and so was putting it off, but that's not the case). The owner there told me that a computer specifically for the ABS needs to be plugged into the under-dash connector to reset the ABS controller. He may be FOS on that - but he's not charging me to do it. If the light's still on when I get it back, I'll start inspecting the ABS wire harness one wire at at time - I've already eliminated the wire to the dash light itself as the problem.

Wow! That's some good info. From that and what both of you were trying to tell me, the light itself will be on only when a problem is present (or at least will reset itself after a restart and a successful ABS Controller self-test) - *BUT* a code will be stored.

So it appears that there is a problem still present. The good news is that the codes look to be pretty specific, and so should get me pointed in the right direction pretty quickly. I need to emphasize to the shop tomorrow to GET THE CODE(S) before erasing them. Will try to get the blink code(s) that you mentioned. Will do a search of the forums and see if I can find how to initiate that. As with many forums, this one will not search a word with 3 letters or less, so searches having to do with things like "ABS" are tricky.

Last edited:
I'm sure the answers to my next questions have been posted before, but my several minutes of searching the archives hasn't been successful:
(1) How do I initiate the blink codes?
(2) Will ABS codes come up with all other codes, or is there a different procedure to initiate the ABS-specific blink codes?

Thanks again.

I think you might have wiring harness problems. My 96 SE's ABS light would come on intermittantly for years before I had my engine harnesses replaced in March. Are you aware of the recall 99M03?

...(1) How do I initiate the blink codes?
Sorry, I guess my previous reply wasn't clear. It is a DTC code, not a "blink" code. I was confused with the airbag codes. For the ABS, you need a scanner capable of initiating the program to run through the diagnostics. Note, that some "hard" codes will be stored and can be retrieved with a ordinary code scanner but with the battery disconnected or if you have already cleared it, it is erased. If (When) the light is on again, you can try reading it again with the scanner (reader).

I think you might have wiring harness problems. My 96 SE's ABS light would come on intermittantly for years before I had my engine harnesses replaced in March. Are you aware of the recall 99M03?
I would not be surprised at all - I expect the codes to point to a harnes problem or a bad controller. If the former, I will be re-insulating the wires in the ABS harness on an as-needed basis - already done some that were totally bare. Next step will be to strip back the outer shell further to see what it looks like inside - the insulation that I did find damaged seem to turn good once I peeled back the cover a few inches. Yes - I'm aware of the recall. Unfortunately this one's past the limits of the recall.

Sorry, I guess my previous reply wasn't clear. It is a DTC code, not a "blink" code. I was confused with the airbag codes. For the ABS, you need a scanner capable of initiating the program to run through the diagnostics. Note, that some "hard" codes will be stored and can be retrieved with a ordinary code scanner but with the battery disconnected or if you have already cleared it, it is erased. If (When) the light is on again, you can try reading it again with the scanner (reader).
That is precisely the work planned for the shop to perform tomorrow. They claim to have the scanner capable of reading the ABS codes.

Back