• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My radio keeps going out....????

qbcsvt

Hard-core CEG'er
OK I Have a JVC head unit with small LCD Screen. I installed it myself and it has been working perfectly FOR A LONG TIME....

Now I hit a bump and i get absolutely no sound from the speakers... I checked the wiring and all everything is good. It powers on/off and functions normally. But everytime I make a Hard Left turn I can get the speakers to come in for a while and then they go back out after a couple bumps... anyone know what this maybe???

Thanks in advance

- Amyn

I heard about bypassing I really just got a harness from factory to my JVC... Dow will i be able to bypass the amp.... I really didnt look into it......

- Amyn

I got the Bypassing with a simple search thanks....:shrug:

Just to make it easier for the next guy, You buy the bypass harness and connect it to the amp, cut it in half and connect bypass harness speaker wires to your head unit speakers/wiring....

- Amyn

There was a reason we called JVC's boomerang's at Circuit City when I did installs. As soon as we sent them away they returned almost immediately.

This JVC has a Small LCD Screen in it and there is nothing wrong with the unit, Not a boomerang! Only problem I had was the small vent fan in the back stopped working and i replaced it myself for like 1.40 and time at radio shack.

But if I make a Hard Left turn I can get the music to come on for a while and then after a couple bumps, everytime usually differs in how long the music plays. Like right now its been playing for a good 20-40 minutes with no issues.

The FORD factory AMP is bypassed... And the head unit is plugged in perfectly. I double Checked and also found some features I didnt think I had.... but thats Somthing else.

Perhaps a loose ground. If your setup worked for a long time then started having a problem the install is ok.

my 2 cents
AF

What are the grounds, I can check for in that electrical area. What is the radio ground usually connected to?

I was thinking if the ground was messed up wouldnt the unit power on and off cause it doesnt not do that it always looks fine jsut the speakers go in and out....

Thanks in advance

- Amyn

This JVC has a Small LCD Screen in it and there is nothing wrong with the unit, Not a boomerang! Only problem I had was the small vent fan in the back stopped working and i replaced it myself for like 1.40 and time at radio shack.

I think you just verified my point there. Not many people will open up thier radio's to repair them.

But anyway, have you replaced your speakers with aftermarket ones? I would check to see if the speaker wires are exposed and touching the metal from the door anywhere. Commonly when this happens, the radio will stay on but the radio turns off. Also this will happen when the positive of a speaker wire and a negative of a speaker wire touch each other at the speaker or in the harness by a stray wire, sometimes hard to see, but should inspect each connection/solder joint.

Sounds like you have some speakers grounding out... speakers grounding out will cause a radio to still turn on, BUT the radio will shutdown it's internal amp to prevent it from frying out.... Take a multimeter and test the resistance of your speakers, if they are 4ohm speakers and are either lower or higher than that, then you have a problem, slight variances are okay, but the aftermarket radios do have a tolerance level which you need to stay within to have them function properly...

THANKS AUSSIE AND CSVT..... Wires not grounded, kept killing my sound. And they were loose. I forgot that when I installed my Headunit, I wired everything for an amp and sub for the future..... Kinda hid them in the trunk and they were touching the body of the car.....

once i took them out of their hiding place all worked fine.... Gotta tape them up

or get a SUB:laugh:

Thanks a Million...

- Amyn

Back