• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

parking brake boot fell off?

Bozack

CEG'er
fix one thing another breaks.....so my parking brake boot is falling off, is there an easy way to fix this? read a tutorial which used fishing line but didnt know if there were other options thanks

yes you can put the boot back where it is suppose to be then use something to remelt the plastic. if you don't want to do that find some epoxy or some type of glue and you can put it back together that way

A nice bead of silicone to keep the tab from coming off the post.

yea all my tabs are broken so my boot is just floating there. Not my doing, that's how my pre-98 console came. It pisses me off but i don't think it's something epoxy will fix. I think I might need to plastic weld.

yea all my tabs are broken so my boot is just floating there. Not my doing, that's how my pre-98 console came. It pisses me off but i don't think it's something epoxy will fix. I think I might need to plastic weld.

Epoxy did the trick for mine with I installed my Redline boots. Melting the plastic with a soldering iron works wonders too. Very quick, easy, and holds strong.

Epoxy did the trick for mine with I installed my Redline boots. Melting the plastic with a soldering iron works wonders too. Very quick, easy, and holds strong.

I'll have to give that a try. But from what I recall all the tabs from the console are broken off inside the white rounded clips from the boot so I don't know if there is much of anything left on the console side to re-melt/epoxy to.

Mine are all broken off as well, damn Im so sick of it but I never get around to it. I bet I got 3 dollars and a lighter down there.

I drilled all the posts and the tabs, then used mini zip ties to attach. worked great. When I bought my car and it was broken I found 5 bucks in change.... I took it to the car wash.

careful about using epoxy on plastic, too much and you'll start melting things. i'd just recommend common hot glue, i use it a lot. especially for interior things such as this.

Bought my car with them broken. Got out the glue gun and first 90 F day last year made that not last. Got some better glue. First 90 F day this year and the glue still didn't hold. Now time for industrial strength 2 part epoxy!

The problem seems to be finding something that will stick to these plastic parts. So far it sounds like JB Weld works. I know that Plumbing Goop seems to work. I just used it for repairing door panels, but admittedly I have not given them much of a test yet. Several glues seem to work for a short duration, like hot glue, and Krazy glue. I have found that occasionally the epoxy for plastics works occasionally. So far no one type of adhesive seems to be good for general all round use.

Other than Plumbing Goop, and JB Weld does anyone
have a product (insert brand name here) that really works and holds fast to these plastic parts?

AF

Back