• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Contour owner wanna bring her to spec

AlexCCCP

CEG'er
Hey guys, I recently picked up a '98 Contour SE with V6 5spd. She has 170km on it. I was wondering what can of stuff I should to do it in terms of maintenance, outside the basic oil & filter change. Fuel system cleaning? SeaFoam it? anything like that, that will make her run the best she can?

when you do an oil change, make sure to put in 6 quarts, not the suggested 5.5.

at 170k kilometers (about 105K miles) you are probably starting to experience light klunking in the suspension, usually this is common of the front and rear sway bar end links, fairly inexpensive to replace and make the suspension nice and quiet again :cool:

Seafoam is always a great thing for the duratecs, they get carbon build up inside of the Upper and lower intake manifold, so using the seafoam method to clean out the upper intake usually regains some of that lost power. Fuel Filter is a good idea, if your spark plugs and wires have never been replaced its probably a good time to do that too.

I also would suggest a flushing of the cooling system, and changing the trans fluid for some Royal purple Syncromax gear oil, LOVE the stuff. I have run it in my SVT since the day I got it, and it shifts way better then either of my old contours.

Thanks guys, water pump and belt already done luckily :)
I guess i'll try to do the seafoam process. Yet no one suggest a fuel system flush, just filter?
Also I believe my front bushings are done, guess I should do that. I haven't had a chance to drive her alot yet still waiting on insurance, dunno the overall feel of the suspension i'll check the sways. Anything else guys??

BTW I have read that sticky thoroughly, lots of info on fixing and doing stuff, but I'm just looking for suggestions on what i should do now as a sort of refurbishing

Check the trunk for leaks. If it's been sitting a while crud builds up behind the tail lights and then they start to leak. Run some water in the seam of the trunk (with it closed of course) and then check on top of the tail light to see if it's wet. If so unbolt the lights 3 ten mm nuts. Pull them out and clean um up real good. Dry them then add a strip of foam weather stripping and put them back in.

There's lots of little cleaning things you can do to keep your car feeling good.

definitely check any and all of your bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, lca's, etc....

Dont worry cars in ok shape, ive checked all the major components, and it has no leaks, but the headlights are clouded it seems.
there are some headlights on ebay that are less than 120 shipped for the pair. I have some purchased but I havent got them installed yet. I'll review them in the lighting section when I get them installed after the motor is done in the car.

there are some headlights on ebay that are less than 120 shipped for the pair. I have some purchased but I havent got them installed yet. I'll review them in the lighting section when I get them installed after the motor is done in the car.

if you want to know of a good method on how to clear those lights and make them look nearly brand new again, send me a PM

Just for reference, my headlights were hightowered (painting the chrome bezel around the outside of the headlight), but they looked bright yellow before the lenses were cleared, and now look at them.

n30315915_33340492_3217.jpg

Dont worry cars in ok shape, ive checked all the major components, and it has no leaks, but the headlights are clouded it seems.

The ebay headlights are alright, but I have seen quite a few pairs that start leaking super early on, its a pain; and if you plan on hightowering them; you are better off buying another set of lights off a junkyard car, because the glue is nearly impossible to separate from the housings.

Hmm I really don't want to replace the housing. Is it feasible to clear them up somehow?? Likely the opaqueness is caused by moisture I think, dry em out, wipe em down?? Or the basic method get brighter bulbs?

Back