• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

tire wear

loc0gring0

Veteran CEG'er
i have 2 newer tire on the front of my svt and they are both worn on the outside edge of the tire. anyone know what would cause this and how to fix it.. suspension is all stock

maybe to much positive camber. has anything with the steering been replaced recently? maybe a bad alignment job?

It does point to positive camber. Could be paired with negative toe, too.

Time to get her up on an alignment rack.

I'd definitely be looking at an alignment issue. OUTSIDE edge wear normally means too much toe in. Inside edge wear means not enough toe in, or even toe OUT.

Get a good alignment check.

Check for steering and suspension wear. Ball joints, tie rod ends, worn lower control arm bushings. Look for nay bent parts too, although bent parts usually only effect one side.

If inspection doesn't show anything, the next step is to get alignment readings. Until you get the readings it is only a guess. The information others have given you is accurate. I would be a little less inclined to think it is a camber issue if it hasn't shown up before, leading me to be more suspicious of too much toe in or worn parts. Unfortunately, it takes nearly as much work to get the alignment readings as it does to do an alignment. Don't forget that camber (and caster) is not adjustable unless you install camber kits.

Let us know what you find out.

Definitely an alignment issue. The front wheels tend to toe-out over time due to tie rod end wear. This is normal and is corrected by making the adjustments on an alignment rack. Ask around and find a reputable alignment shop. Tip the mechanic when he first pulls your car in and I guarantee you'll get a better result. Unfortunately many people "fake" the alignment to produce a printout showing everything in spec. Shouldn't be more than $80-90. If you have any worn suspension components, replace them first.

are your tires feathered? if they are feathered it is a toe issue if they are not feathered it is a camber issue. i have had both and they are fairly consistent

it will unless somethin is broken or one side is different then the other. all that says is that both sides are aligned the same...both tires on the outside edge are wearing down right?

Back