• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

LED Interior/Exterior Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt R

Hard-core CEG'er
I'd like to gauge some interest on outfitting cars with LEDs, interior and possibly exterior. These would be drop in replacement for the stock bulbs.

Colors available: Blue, Red, White, Yellow, Green.

What I can offer for interior:

HVAC- all 5 colors. Remember there is a green coating on the lettering, and the red/blue of the temp will have to mix with the backlight color. There is 2 of these bulbs.

Footwell- same bulb as the HVAC, all 5 colors. There is 2 of these bulbs.

Interior dome: should be a festoon, only available in white. If enough interest exists, I can get the other colors from another place, but they'll be more expensive. Just one of these bulbs.

Headlight: again, same bulb as HVAC, all 5 colors. This has a green film, but can be scraped off. Just one of these bulbs.

Instrument Cluster: all 5 colors, but the green film gets in the way. 5 of these bulbs.

Others: rear dome, can't offer, I don't see a bulb that would work. Map lights, I really don't recommend you replace these with LEDs... I did, and switched back to regular bulbs, the LEDs just weren't bright enough in that application.

What I can offer for exterior:

Reverse Lights: I can offer all 5 colors, HOWEVER, using anything but white is dangerous and illegal. 2 of these bulbs.

License Plate: these are festoon, so only in white; again, if the interest exists, I can get other colors. 2 of these bulbs.

Now for prices: Sorry guys, I got these prices wrong. 194s are $1.50 each... if I order more than 10 of a certain color, they're $1.35 each; high power $3.38 each. License plate festoons $2.33, more than 10, $1.89 each. Dome light festoons $2.99 each, more than 10 $2.37 each. Reverse lights $8.59 and $5.45, more than 10, $4.29. Instrument cluster bulbs $.99 for 2.

194 bulbs: there is a variety of choices; bullet, wide, narrow, inverted, and side. Unless you specify otherwise, I'd supply all wide normal bulbs.

Reverse lights: with 30 LEDs or 19 LEDs.

So each person would get their own personal package of LEDs with whatever you wanted. I would add $1.50 to each order to cover shipping/tax to me. Shipping to you would be $3... $1 for a padded envelope and bubble wrap, $2 for the shipping. Paypal fees would be your responsibility, 2.9% plus $.30. I'd have to do this all at once in one big order to cut on costs.

For pictures, I have white footwell and dome, white HVAC (but not a stock panel), and white reverse. I can get pictures as requested.

Last edited:
id be interested for sure in some 194's and the instrument clusters. just makign sure but by instrument cluster you mean gauge cluster right?

are you going to be making the festoons or are you getting them from somewhere? I can't understand why the license plate festoon led bulbs fail for so many people, yet LED lighting is run fine elsewhere in the car :shrug:

No maplight options?

Instrument cluster= gauge cluster.

I'm not getting these from superbrightleds.com. I bought festoons from them, and had one of them do the flicker thing. I think they don't attach the resistors very well, because their gauge cluster bulbs fail all the time from just touching them; I've had a few come already broken. The company I'm getting the stuff from is far cheaper, and higher quality. Plus they put more LEDs into their festoons than elsewhere.

I put a note about the map bulbs in there. I'm not even sure if this company has that bulb type in LEDs, what is the bulb number?

Instrument cluster= gauge cluster.

I'm not getting these from superbrightleds.com. I bought festoons from them, and had one of them do the flicker thing. I think they don't attach the resistors very well, because their gauge cluster bulbs fail all the time from just touching them; I've had a few come already broken. The company I'm getting the stuff from is far cheaper, and higher quality. Plus they put more LEDs into their festoons than elsewhere.

I put a note about the map bulbs in there. I'm not even sure if this company has that bulb type in LEDs, what is the bulb number?

woops, missed the map light thing...they are either BA9S or BA7S...

I'd like to get all the interior bulbs but it kills me not to have matching stuff like the map/rear dome...

I can get BA9S (says it replaces 12MB or 756), $1.50 each. No BA7S.

The only exterior bulbs I can get are 1157 or 1156... so only the reverse lights.

I can get BA9S (says it replaces 12MB or 756), $1.50 each. No BA7S.

The only exterior bulbs I can get are 1157 or 1156... so only the reverse lights.

I'm pretty sure the map lights are ba9s...here's another question...could you get single white LED's that are the same ones used in these bulbs? Incase maybe someone wanted to make their own ba15s for the rear :eek: I remember being in brapple's car and he had different manufacturer LED bulbs and some where different colors.

Have you tried these bulbs in the clusters personally? I'm interested in getting a set of red for everything, Hvac-Cluster etc.

shot in the dark but what is the wavelength of the red bulbs/leds? I would kill for anything in ~660nm with a wide angle.

620-625nm for the red. I haven't used the bulbs in my cluster, but I just put them in someone else's cluster in blue, I'll ask him how they look once he gets it.

The rear dome light is the same as an 1157. Superbrightleds.com sells one that is 90 deg and does ok for lighting through the lens. If you want it to work right, you'll have to re-wire it by desoldering the center post and switching the lead connections.

I put 9 LEDs into my rear dome light... 3 groups of 3. But probably just one of those 10mm LEDs would do the trick, they're 100,000mcd, so 10x the light of one regular white 3mm LED.

Matt R said:
194 bulbs are $1 each, high powered for $2 each. There is a variety of choices; bullet, wide, narrow, inverted, and side. Unless you specify otherwise, I'd supply all wide normal bulbs.

Festoons: $3 each.

Instrument cluster: $.75 each.

Reverse lights: with 30 LEDs $9 each, 19 LEDs $6 each.

Sorry guys, I got these prices wrong. They're lower than this! 194s are $1.50 each... if I order more than 10 of a certain color, they're $1.35 each. License plate festoons $2.33, more than 10, $1.89 each. Dome light festoons $2.99 each, more than 10 $2.37 each. Reverse lights $8.59 and $5.45, more than 10, $4.29. Instrument cluster bulbs $.99 for 2.

so in the SVT the gauges are green with red needles. If one were to replace the bulbs with say blue LEDs would the needles still stay red or would they go to blue?

also, you mentioned a green tint on the gauges that needs to be removed? How is this done, fine sand paper?

If you had red needles, they'd mix with whatever backlight color you had... so blue lights with red needles would make kind of a purple color. Removing the green is a very long and difficult process, you can do it with sandpaper or some kind of scraping edge. I offer a GB, look for "gauge cluster color change". It usually takes me 5-7 hours if I sit down and do it all in one run.

Guys, I'd like to get this started, please post what you want, and the total price... make sure you use the updated prices. My paypal address is robisc31 @ potsdam.edu. Make sure you remove the spaces in that. Be sure you put a "ship to" address. I'll let these accumulate for a couple weeks, then place the order, which takes about a week to get here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back