• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blowing Fuses

xh20x

CEG'er
99 svt w/ 150,000 miles

Driving to work the car shuts off, on the side of the road right now. Open engine bay and check fuse box. The car is blowing the big 20A fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. I think its fuse #20, ignition i think. I replaced the fuse and it blows when i turn the car to the on position. Any Ideas?

You need to properly identify the correct fuse. Check your owner's manual. If you don't have one, get a copy from www.fleet.ford.com under MAINTENANCE.

Also, look on your door sticker and get the month and year of its manufacture. There was a significant mid-year changeover.

Steve

allright i looked at it a bit today, its fuse #9 (20 amp ECC). the fuse blows when i turn the car to the on position and then the fuse blows, so i use the volt meter and find out that if i pull fuse #4 the short goes away. anyone have any ideas?

Okay here's a question for you... is fuse 13 in the engine compartment blown???

Fuse 4 supplies the power to the relay... so when you pull that, the relay stops clicking.... Fuse 4 would be equivalent to the 86 or 85 on the relay. Fuse 9 (20A) is the actually power being supplied to the circuit that the relay is turning on.... after the relay though it splits off... Fuse 13 (20A) looks to run to the O2 sensors and the other wire that comes before 13 but after the relay looks to be running the cooling fans and some other equipment... That other equipment it is tied into is the MAF, Fuel injectors, ignition power to the PCM, Transmission, and vehicle speed sensor it looks like.

Modify anything lately on the car?

well i disconnected the large bulkhead connector on the drivers side wheel well and then re connected it and it runs fine, so now im just looking for the problem before it happens again

Maybe a bad connection or water in the plug... something was shorting out... unless it was the PCM itself.... :shrug:

Might be worth taking off the battery and checking under the fuse box. Wires under there can rub and short.

Also since its an ignition problem I'd be suspect of the wire for the coil pack.

Back