• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intake Manifold Help, PLEASE!

keithr

Veteran CEG'er
Hey guys,
Quick question before I go look at this car. Its a 98 Contour SE, low km's. The only problem the guy says is wrong with it is it needs a intake manifold and 2 o2 sensors?

He only wants 600.00, is it worth it? How much is a new intake manifold? Its a 98 SE 6Cyl.

Thanks,
Keith

sounds good to me..stock manifolds are free(or should be:laugh: ) i'd get a svt manifold for 150-200

I'd not exactly "jump" on the fact that it WILL need a new manifold.

What proof/symptoms have SHOWN him it is definitely a manifold? As always, a car that cheap with "just this and that wrong" is a "buyer beware"/"buy at your own risk" venture.

It may REALLY only need a couple of O2 sensors and a rebuild of the UIM/LIM to make it purr, but it MIGHT also be hiding a transmission rebuild, clutch problem, or other expensive repair masked by the already lit CEL for a supposed O2 problem.

:shrug:

edit: moved to general.. this was not a troubleshooting problem.

I dont think one person has ever had an UIM or LIM go bad of the 8 years ive been on this forum. Probably just needs gaskets. Probably doesn't even need O2 sensors either. People think "Hey, Ive got a rich or a lean code. The O2 sensors are bad." Umm..isn't this what the O2 sensors are supposed to do? Tell you if its running rich or lean? I'd check out the car first, but it sounds like this guy doesn't know what hes talking about. Could be a cheap fix.

are you CERTAIN it was an INTAKE manifold?

The cats in the exhaust manifolds often clog, and people are told by their dealerships that they need new EXHAUST manifolds, and it will cost like $2000...

I'm confused, but if you get it I have a SE intake manifold that is sandblasted and I will powder coat it for you any color I have for $20 and you pay shipping...?

I guess it depends on what else is wrong with the car. I picked up my 96 Contour really cheap with a set of Winter Rims/Tires. All it needed was a front Spring, rear Brakes, Parking Brake cables and new wiper blades. That's it. You can find some really good deals and some really bad ones.

If it is the exhaust manifolds that are causing the sale, (quite possibly, i've never heard of an intake manifold going bad, unless someone hits it w/ a sledgehammer) then I'd say its a good pickup barring any other obvious problems with it. Gutting/ installing mil eliminators will fix clogged exhaust manifolds, and will only cost you ~30 bucks or less and a few hours of your time. (and will most likely still pass smog tests)

Do you have someone that could lend you a code reader? If so, I would take one along so you can see first hand what the codes are. IDK, does Canada have AutoZone's? They may be able to read the codes for you if you don't have access to a reader.

Here is the list:
http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=10

Me, that's the first place I'd start, with the actual codes. Could be a simple fix and then again, it may not be.

Back