• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L hybrid turbo?

kscontourkid

Veteran CEG'er
did a little research but didnt come up with much. could a Hybrid 3L (11:1 CR) take a few lbs of boost and benefit without totally sacrificing reliability? say 3-5lbs of boost and make maybe 250-300whp?

did a little research but didnt come up with much. could a Hybrid 3L (11:1 CR) take a few lbs of boost and benefit without totally sacrificing reliability? say 3-5lbs of boost and make maybe 250-300whp?

Why not just go with the 3L heads to eliminate oil starvation issues and 10:1 CR so that boost wouldn't be an issue at all? I wouldn't throw much more than 3-4psi on a hybrid 3L and by this we mean 3L block and SVT heads which actually puts CR around 11.25:1 IIRC. You can throw a little boost at it with a very good tune if you are careful, but the amount of money needed to boost a car doesn't make it much worth just a few extra ponies in my opinion.

But yes, 3-4psi can be safe if done right with a good tune. I personally wouldn't go over 4psi on a hybrid 3L.

EDIT: I just realized you already have a hybrid 3L and so I assume you are just looking for a little extra power. In that case, if you have the money to blow for 30 extra horsepower or so, I'd say go for it. But in your situation, I see nitrous as a better option for power and cost.

Reebs

Last edited:
EDIT: I just realized you already have a hybrid 3L and so I assume you are just looking for a little extra power. In that case, if you have the money to blow for 30 extra horsepower or so, I'd say go for it. But in your situation, I see nitrous as a better option for power and cost.

I second that notion :) A 50 shot of the sauce would be much cheaper than spending the money on a turbo setup for only 3-4 lbs of boost. A lot of people with higher compression engines use nitrous.

don't forget he is running a hybrid built with SE heads so the compression is higher then the SVT hybrid ..... and I thought that was a bad idea for boos tbut great for nitrious ....

Higher compression or larger chamber which would be lower compression? I figured SE heads would have less compression.

I know its digging back into the engine, but Is fly cutting his piston a possibility or is there not enough material on a stock piston?

ok thats what i thought. i was trying to confirm my suspicions but wanted to know if anyone had done it successfully. thank you all i have the info i needed. i will just have to over time turn this into an NA beast. it is just a new engine now (only 6-7k on the clock) and im still working out the kinks (money and time issues lol) the stock SE heads have done me well so far but i have plans to bore them out a bit as i already have the 3L valves in there but didnt have time before i put the engine in the car. has to come out for a tranny anyway. it sucks having to baby your monster.

thank you all

Back