• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Do water pumps fail often in the Zetec 2.0L

rdanth

Be Gentle I'm New Here
My mileage is 115000 and I am getting the timing belt replaced. The shop quoted $440. to install the Gates timing belt kit with new idler and tightener, a new valve cover gasket, and a new serpentine belt. If I want the water pump replaced while he has it apart it will be another $100. He said the water pump can be changed later without having to remove the timing belt but it would be easy to do it now while it is apart. My questions are how do these prices sound and does anyone have a mileage figure when their water pump failed in the Zetec. Thanks rd

No, they do not fail frequently. But since 90% of the labor is already done, put one in while the mechanic is in there. Yes it can be done on later model contours without pulling the t-belt, but it's no fun. Just make sure to use a Motorcraft pump, not a cheap aftermarket one. I've had nothing but bad luck with aftermarket water pumps.

My gasket failed before the WP did :shrug:. I just changed the WP too for the hell of it. But honestly, they aren't known to fail. They're very well built.

*raises hand* My WP failed at 85k miles.

But then again, if you factor in the age of my vehicle, that was bound to happen. I'd go ahead and replace it and get it out of your way/mind.

In my opinion, you're better off with a 100k mile factory WP than a brand new aftermarket/remanufactured one.

Back