• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

p1381

ITinker

New CEG'er
I've done some research into this p1381 cam overadvance code, and I'm wondering what kind of risks I'm taking driving my car around for a week 15 miles each way across a valley to and from work. I noticed the cam would be set for normal driving, and it's not a cam retard code, but should I worry about anything else going wrong?

I haven't pulled off the timing cover and checked my belt, but plan on going out to pick up a socket set and cam tools.

progress... sort of.

progress... sort of.

I just popped off the timing belt cover, and it wasn't too soon after that I found that my timing belt had a big gash running down the middle of it lengthwise. Now the question is do I risk driving it to the shop a mile up the road? lol, kidding!

$75 towing bill yay......

Last edited:
Won't hurt to drive it. Make sure they replace the idlers tensioners and waterpump. The timing needs to be exact with the VCT solenoid so make sure they do it right, or you will get the 1381 code again.

re:

re:

It won't hurt to drive it with a gash up the center of my timing belt?!?!? Granted, it is only 2 mi away, but still. Thanks for the input on the vct sol. I picked one up anyway along with a gates timing kit. It's nice having a buddy that works as a mech.

Last edited:
Worst case- the belt shreds, you stall, and then you call the tow truck. No damage done.

Anyway, there is a special way to find TDC on the cams, and the shop will need to do it this way. Make sure they have the holding tool.

you really need to make sure they are familiar with VCT...the shop i took it to didn't, f-ed it up and charged me $900(includes head gasket) and i still had to do it myself- it was pretty easy tho- i thought it was a lot more complicated--it took me a couple hours and now it runs like a striped-ass ape:laugh: me like to drive :cool:

besides the arrows on the gears?

please elaborate.
the arrows on the gears dont mean anything because the gears arent keyed to the cams. you have to turn the cams until you can get the cam holding tool into the slots on the back of the cams. that ensures that they are set for TDC of cylinder number1. to set the crankshaft, there is a small bolt on the front side of the engine. you remove that bolt and thread in the crank pin. then turn the crank, slowly, until its resting on the crank pin. now you have both the crank and the cams at TDC of cylinder1 and can install the timing belt.

Wow

Wow

Good news! I got it to the shop, and the belt gave me everything it had to get there. I got it fixed for under $450, and it didn't need a new solenoid! They cleaned it out, and it was good to go.

$91 for the timing kit(rockauto definitely the best if you're in the midwest)
$350 for labor, serp, acc. idler/tensioner pulleys
Getting it to the shop with a belt that wore completely through and lost 5 teeth in the process: Priceless.

Best part is valve noise went away!

Last edited:
Back